Quikrete All Purpose Sand?

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Hey guys so i had some playsand a couple months back but it was way to fine and would just destroy my filter, and the tank just looks cloudy i really liked it but just too much of a hassle, so i bought the quikrete all purpose sand and was wondering if anyone one else here used it and how did it turn out? im just sick and tired of looking and the bare bottom of my tank

it looks like this

i would get PFS but its just too light of a color for me, im asking now since its already in my car and i can always return it if its bad

thanks!

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Not bad at all I use it as well just needs a good wash. My preferred method is with a pillow case.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used it, but prefer PFS because of grain size, that aside.
My preferred way to wash it, is to do a water change, and use the siphoning old water from the tank to rinse the sand. I can in this manner rinse 4 or 5 times, and accomplish a large water change at the same time.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I have used it and liked it, however it definitely will need a good washing. I have also used the Quikrete Medium Grade sand and liked it as well (it was also cleaner).

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
"QUIKRETE® All-Purpose Sand (No. 1152) is a washed, properly graded coarse sand with multi-purpose uses. Meets ASTM C 33 specifications."
http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandAllPurpose.asp

It appears to be a heavier, coarser, sand. Wash it well in any case to get the dust and fine stuff out.

Good to know its coarser, so it wont mess up my filters, well thanks for the help guys i guess now i just gotta try it

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Never had good luck with anything other than true pool filter sand. You can siphon it and it cleans well. Play sand has always been dirty and is too fine to clean at all.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store