water change gone wrong?

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
just did a water change on my 72g and i am not sure what went wrong. i had 3 zebra danio in it and 1 died about a half hour later and the other one was gasping for air at the top and is now freaking out and not swimming right. this one will most likely die sadly. the third one is doing completely fine. checked everything after and ammonia was 0 nitrite was 0 and nitrate was i think 20. i matched the temperature perfectly and added water conditioner about a gallon or 2 into the fill. i used these fish to cycle the tank and they were completely fine throughout it. i would say i did a 25% water change. what could i of possibly done that killed 2 fish in thirty minutes and an hour. this was the first time i was adding water right from the shower head and didnt have to squirt the conditioner into buckets. could i of added too much conditioner? i was hopin this time i would not lose any fish, even ones i used for the cycle. thanks in advance

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well adding water and then treating once in the tank adds a risk for more delicate fish. Did you change the brand of conditioner. Do you run on city water treated with chlorine and fluoride? It's not really optimal to add water and then treat the tank. If you can you want to treat the water and then add the water to the tank. Maybe someone else can chime in to help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
i still have the same brand and i also run on city water. there was only a gallon or two that went into the tank before i added the conditioner. i asked people how they did it when they added water right into the tank and thats how they told me to do it. thanks for the input

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well that's how I do it to but were your fish already unstable? I usually do this to all my tanks unless it's fry or delicate species then I fill with pre treated water in that case

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
My first thought was that you may have suffocated your fish by doing to large a water change with unoxygenated water, but I doubt a 25% water change would do that.

There are really only three options I can think of that caused the death. First, you forgot the conditioner and only think you added it - I am not saying you actually forgot, just an option. Second, the water was not the same temperature - again you may have checked this, but an option. Third, something else in the added water such as dissolved metals, organic materials, etc. By what you said I am leaning more toward the third option, but the odd thing is that one fish seems to be fine. While that one fish may be the strongest of the three, I highly doubt a change that kills one, with another likely soon to follow, would seem to not phase the third.

Definitely weird, and I hope you get it figured out.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Did you vacuum the substrate and stirred it up ? Happened to me before, I have not stirred the gravel substrate for a long time. When I did it, fish started going for the surface then started dying.

After consulting with LFS, she suggested that by stirring the gravel, it released trapped 'carbonic acid'. I always thought this scenario can only happen on sand substrate, found out this can also happen using gravel. Specially true if there are live plants.

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
the first option i definitely did, the second one i checked the thermometer and it stayed around 72. the most id say a degree difference in the water at most and the third could be a possibility. i just think its weird that ive never had this problem before thats why i thought i put too much in

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
i didnt even bother with the gravel all i did was change the water. i also turned my canister off for about 15 minutes but i doubt that could of done any damage

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Is it possible you used too much conditioner, I just recently did it and lost some Calvus, when I added then prime I forgot which size tank I was doing as they were recently moved from a 55 to a 20.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store