What Ray Safe medications do you suggest having on hand for emergencies?

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
As some of you may have noticed i just lost a newly acquired marble. In this unpleasant experience watching my new ray whither i found myself very unprepared for this kind of situation. I thought i was decently equipped but BOY was i WRONG. Another member (DB) proved to be very well equipped with meds for just about any urgent situation (I'm sure it's because he has been in many situations in the past with nothing to work with). Not only did he have the meds to work with but he was willing to help me out by shipping me some! All in all i found myself feeling helpless because i didn't have the right medication at the right time.

I read the stickys and i know that there are lots of meds mentioned in there but quite frankly there are tons on meds on there.
Id like to see if some well prepared ray keepers here could share the types of medications in which THEY have on hand for emergency situations so that, I and maybe other less prepared keepers can get better prepared to avoid such tragedies.

This is all in hopes to avoid unnecessary ray deaths. Better to be safe than sorry (sorry as in how im feeling right now😞)
After this experience and with suggestions from hopefully many of you i will be investing a good amount of money into meds so that i can avoid similar events in the future.

If possible please indicate the name of the med and the problems in which it will treat. Thanks to all who participate in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Only thing I keep is nitrofurazone from that web site I sent you. I have enough on hand to dose my 750 for 10 days if needed. Use to keep prazi pro when bringing in lots of new rays. Parasites do not scare me anymore and if present are not a killer like disk rot. Any new ray I get gets a treatment of nitro no matter what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Only thing I keep is nitrofurazone from that web site I sent you. I have enough on hand to dose my 750 for 10 days if needed. Use to keep prazi pro when bringing in lots of new rays. Parasites do not scare me anymore and if present are not a killer like disk rot. Any new ray I get gets a treatment of nitro no matter what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Good to know. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I keep prazipro. Anchors away. For fish lice. Melafix and pimafix but I'm thinking of keeping nitro now!

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I keep Bifuran, Metro, Binox, Dimilin, Prazi, Maracyn Plus, Melafix, Pimafix, and some Parasite Tabs.

The Dimilin and Binox are no longer made I don't think.

Powder meds are kept by the kilo, liquid meds by the quart or gallon..... But I live in the sticks. I can't just hop in the car and drive to the LFS for meds.

This to me is no different then filter media, given the cost of the rays why would you try to take the cheap way out or cut corners to save a buck.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
I keep Bifuran, Metro, Binox, Dimilin, Prazi, Maracyn Plus, Melafix, Pimafix, and some Parasite Tabs.

The Dimilin and Binox are no longer made I don't think.

Powder meds are kept by the kilo, liquid meds by the quart or gallon..... But I live in the sticks. I can't just hop in the car and drive to the LFS for meds.

This to me is no different then filter media, given the cost of the rays why would you try to take the cheap way out or cut corners to save a buck.
exactly. i didn't intend to take the cheap way out i just simply never had a need for meds other than prazi or melafix. im all for spending good money for something that will save me a big headache in the future.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
I've always kept prazi, mela, pima, and good ole salt on hand. In the many years I've kept rays, I guess I had always been lucky to not have some of the rot issues. This is a good thread though...as I ease my way back, I think I will make sure some of these meds are readily accessible.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store