AC 110 QUESTION.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
for those that are running these filters , I have a question... what do you think works better for bio.. sponge +biomax or double sponge. Another question.. for those that run sponge +bio.. how often do you clean the sponge?...thanks..LEE

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
1.- Sponge and biomax will give you mechanical plus biological filtration, two sponges will also give you biological and extra mechanical filtration, at the end of the day sponges also make the function of a biofilter because they also can host a lot of denitrifying bacteria. Now, in what measure would two sponges provide more bio filtration than just one sponge and the biomax?....Hard to measure, we only know for sure that two sponges will help you to polish the water more.

I think in any scenario you will be Ok, so why not to try the two combos?. Run your AC with two sponges per two or three months and then swich to one sponge and biomax per other two or three months, just observe what seems to be the best and take your conclussions.

How often do we clean the sponge?.... It depends on your bioload and also in how often do you feed your fish, however talking about my own experience I clean the sponge once per month.

Cheers.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
I've been running two sponges in AquaClear filters for years. Years ago the filters did not come with bio media. Clean the filters when the flow rate begins to slow down.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I run double sponges in all my AC filters plus ceramic rings in media bags. I don't care for Aquaclear's bio-max that much, not as much surface area for bacteria as rings would have. Plus the rings last longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
1 sponge plus as much biomax as I can fit, clean the sponge once a month.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
2 Sponges in mine all the time cleaned once a month!

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Running double sponges here as well. Works great.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
1.- Sponge and biomax will give you mechanical plus biological filtration, two sponges will also give you biological and extra mechanical filtration, at the end of the day sponges also make the function of a biofilter because they also can host a lot of denitrifying bacteria. Now, in what measure would two sponges provide more bio filtration than just one sponge and the biomax?....Hard to measure, we only know for sure that two sponges will help you to polish the water more.

I think in any scenario you will be Ok, so why not to try the two combos?. Run your AC with two sponges per two or three months and then swich to one sponge and biomax per other two or three months, just observe what seems to be the best and take your conclussions.

How often do we clean the sponge?.... It depends on your bioload and also in how often do you feed your fish, however talking about my own experience I clean the sponge once per month.

Cheers.
once a month is my frequency also, but even with another filter in place I sometimes get an ammonia spike ....so I was thinking of going to 2 sponges ,in order to not clean more than about half the bio in the filter.. ...in my ac70's I run double sponges and rarely if ever end up with a spike

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I've been running two sponges in AquaClear filters for years. Years ago the filters did not come with bio media. Clean the filters when the flow rate begins to slow down.
thanks.. seems that 2 sponges works out for lots of folks

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
1 sponge plus as much biomax as I can fit, clean the sponge once a month.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
do you ever experience an ammonia spike?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store