New baby Jags

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
Need some peoples opinions/advice on the best way to go about this... I ordered 8 baby jags from my LFS and they threw in 2 extra for free since they arrived much smaller than expected (.75"-1.0"). I'm hoping to get at least 3 females from this group of 10 but am guessing it will be tougher than it sounds since I'll need to keep them from killing each other til I can accurately sex them. Once I've got my females picked out, they're going in my 125g with my 10" male and hopefully he'll hit it off with 1 of them. All 10 are by themselves in a 55g, which looks pretty empty at the moment while they're so tiny but I know in a few months that things may get a little crowded. Should I just leave them all in the 55g for the entire time until they can be accurately sexed? Divide my 125g in half and put half of them on the opposite side of my male? Divide both 125g/55g tanks in half? This is my 1st time growing out a group of 1 species of cichlid so I'm just wanting some advice to cut down aggression and give them the best chance of survival until I can pick the females out. Here are pics of the 2 tanks I have to work with..... Have plenty of dividers ready if needed.

125g with 10" male jag
uploadfromtaptalk1396576939962.jpg

55g with 10 .75"-1.0" baby jags
uploadfromtaptalk1396577309581.jpg

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Keep em well fed and keep on top of water changes you may lose a few but I am pretty sure you will be able to get em to 3-4" in no time. Recently I added a small 3" jag to my male in a com tank and with In days they were breeding I would wait till they hit 3-4" then introduce them to the male and see if any take his fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find when growing out a group of young cichlids, cover is most important thing (especially if you want to end up with females),
Females are generally the smallest of the group, and if left without cover will be eaten by their larger brothers.
If you put them in with the male managuense at this point (in the 125), he will probably hunt them down and eat them.
The 55 in the pic has very little cover.
It doesn't matter what you use, plants, PVC parts, rocks, wood, anything that allows the young to hide from each other (as they would in nature) helps.
I like to use live plants in grow out tanks, as the plants help with water quality.
I have had 15 Astatheros rostratum growing out in the 55 below for at least 6 months, haven't lost a one.

even though there are lots of 3" fish in the tank, sometimes I can hardly see even 1 of them, and consider that a good thing.

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
I believe all 10 survived the 1st night, although they're so small and hide so much that I never see them all at once so I can't say for sure. Will definitely add some more hiding spots though... What have you guys experienced when it comes to temperatures with small fish like this? would it be best to keep the temp lower to reduce aggression or higher so they grow a little faster? Temp is set at 78 right now

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
curious why 3 females? A male and 3 females will not work, he may pair with one but then the rest dead meat. sorry just trying to fig your logic.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
With temp I would have it higher to get em to grow quick it will be inevitable you will lose 1 or 2 but wish you all the best keep us posted. Jags are by far the best cichlid

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
curious why 3 females? A male and 3 females will not work, he may pair with one but then the rest dead meat. sorry just trying to fig your logic.
Just trying to get a single female for my male, would just like to get a minimum of 3 to increase the odds that he chooses 1...Grow them out, pick out the females, put them with my male, hope he pairs off with 1, then sell the rest is the goal. Not going for a jag community, just looking for tips/advice to give me the best chance of keeping these 10 small jags alive long enough to sex them

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
With temp I would have it higher to get em to grow quick it will be inevitable you will lose 1 or 2 but wish you all the best keep us posted. Jags are by far the best cichlid

What do you think, bump it up from 78 to 80-81 then? And I agree, I've had my 10" male since he was 1.5" and have never been able to bring myself to get rid of him. Figure I might as well hook him up with a female and get on the jag breeding bandwagon.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
keep up with water changes and feed well, 82 for temp. at the most. water quality and good quality flakes/pellets most important thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store