USED 405 FILTERS

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I found used 405 (2 of them) for sale. just wondering what would be a fair price to pay for them, and how would I check to make sure they are in working order. guy says they are still in use right now. thanks!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I bought mine for 60 on craigs

edit: thats with all the media in good working condition with hoses and connectors

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
how do I know if the media is in good working condition?

p.s. I have never had a canister filter before, only HOB

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Sorry lol worded bad, I meant the unit is in good working condition as its not banged up or anything.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
So as long as it works and looks okay $120 range is what is fair for 2? Its on craigslist.

Sent from my LGMS769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
how do I know if the media is in good working condition?
If the 405 comes with "bio-rings" they last a very long time. If the "sponge/foam" filter material looks ok...just rinse & reuse. Anything else in the filter replace it. I personally (in an established tank)...only have the foam material & bio-rings in my canister filters (no need for charcoal or ammonia removal granules).

Armand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2009
Mexico City.
www.piranha-fury.com
To purchase a used filter is a coin tossed to the air if you know what I mean. It is either if both: If youre lucky you can get yourself a very good filter at a very low cost or you can get yourself a real piece of junk that would only bring you a headache and at the end of tge day perhaps you'd have to buy another one and you'd wish you had bought the brand new since the beginning.

It is your call.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
To purchase a used filter is a coin tossed to the air if you know what I mean. It is either if both: If youre lucky you can get yourself a very good filter at a very low cost or you can get yourself a real piece of junk that would only bring you a headache and at the end of tge day perhaps you'd have to buy another one and you'd wish you had bought the brand new since the beginning.

It is your call.
Make sure there are no cracks in the base or the clamps that hold the motor head to the base bucket. Personally I would never use bio media that was in someone else's tank, thats like adding LFS water to your tank during acclimation.

The fluvals are good. I picked up an old italian made 01 model 404 for $5 without the aquastop or hoses and its working brilliantly. I was able to replace all seals aquastop and since I had plenty of hose and intake and out flows for about another $30.

Big thing to looks for is cracks in the two large components and miss shaping or bowing that could stop the gasket from sealing. Everything else can be easily and cheaply replaced.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
120 for two 405's in working condition is very fair for both parties imo. Thats what I would sell it for and thats what i would pay for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store