Madrona and Other Woods For Tank Decor?

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
So I have tons of madrona trees by where I live. I've read a bit, and it seems that dried madrona wood is a good choice for aquarium decor. But I was wondering if anyone knows how fresh wood would work? Will it sink? Or will it leak something and poison my tank? Or is it fine? I'm planning on baking the wood to kill parasites. Any experience or advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to poison 420gal of fish... Some wood suggestions would be nice too, open up some options for my hunt tomorrow. I live in WA state, so if someone has suggestions on other types of wood i can hunt for that'd be appreciated too. Thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You're better off using that wood species for woodworking. Madrona contains a high amount of tannins and has a low durability in water (it will rot more quickly than other species).

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Ok. Thx. Don't want a tea colored tank :) Alternative species suggestions?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I was wondering if anyone knows how fresh wood would work?
You do not want 'fresh' wood. It needs to be dead.

My understanding is that Madrone is actually pretty closely related to Manzanita which is used in aquariums. Ive seen some leave the red bark on but it will discolor the water. As long as you are dealing with a dead piece of wood and remove the bark you can use it.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
I say let nature do most of the work for you. Go to a local lake, pond, or river and find wood that has been submerged long enough to have had the bark stripped. Generally any log you find in that state has had any harmful saps and a vast majority of tannins removed. Simply find a piece or two (or 10!) that are visually appealing/fit your specifications and dry them out completely. Set them up in the sun for a week or two to kill any water born pathogens and insect larvae. Then all that is left is to do is re-waterlog them and you're good to go! If you've picked mature enough wood, tannin leaching should be minimal.

Figured I'd help out a fellow Washingtonian!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I used to live in Bremerton, Pasco and Vader, WA. This is the best time of the year to check out some of the many clear creeks nearby and select choice pieces of seasoned driftwood in and around the spillovers. The pacific coast out by Coho will also have tons of storm washed driftwoods, toredo wood, jades, jaspers, and agates that can be added to your aquariums.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Yes you could boil the wood, it's just not practical if you're collecting pieces for any aquarium larger than 20 gallons!

Oddball has the right idea though. Many people don't realize that there is a veritable menagerie of free tank decor available if you just go outside and do some exploring.

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
I live in Sultan right next to the river, so i can pick up wood from the floods. Rivers r lined with trees, but I'm about to go to a private beach. So i was hoping to pick up some sweet pieces on my walks. My tank is 9ft long, 30in wide and 30in tall. So I don't have many limitations :) And its basically impossible for me to buy a piece anywhere near the size I'm looking for. Don't need a piece thats 9ft long. But something sizable. Decor plan is sunken dead tree forest kinda thing. But my thought is that beachwood has already been cooking in the sun. Take awaya step for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store