Stingray Noob needs help with sand!

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
So im getting a 300 gallon aquarium, and would like to have 1-2 stingrays. More than likely a pair of motoros, or maybe throw in a retic ray (i know how difficult they are to get to eat non live. i prefer the motoros). I am still setting up the aquarium. i have done alot of research when it comes to safety and needs. But i am still not never knowledgable about what sand to buy. Where can i Buy cheap aquarium sand? (non silica). also for votes, what color? black or white? ;)

MEDHBSI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Coquitlam BC
I've heard pool filter sand works well. ever thought of painting the underside of the aquarium and keeping it a bare bottom tank?

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Light colored sand seems to bring out good color in the motoros any smooth sand will work pool filter sand is almost like tiny ball bearings and is usually heavy enough to settle pretty quickly when stirred up personally I dont advise bare bottom tanks adds stress to the rays if the want to bury they should be able to. With a 300g id go retic or marble motoro they stay a touch smaller but an upgrade at some point will probably be a good idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Light colored sand seems to bring out good color in the motoros any smooth sand will work pool filter sand is almost like tiny ball bearings and is usually heavy enough to settle pretty quickly when stirred up personally I dont advise bare bottom tanks adds stress to the rays if the want to bury they should be able to. With a 300g id go retic or marble motoro they stay a touch smaller but an upgrade at some point will probably be a good idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Isn't pool filter sand bad for motoro rays and retic rays?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Pool filter sand is just fine. No one is commenting because these questions have been answered many, many times in many threads. Use the search tab at top right and find nearly every answer you could need :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store