22in Fire Eel HELP! Haven't Seen It Eat Over A Year!

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
MFK Family,

I picked up a 22in fire eel over a year ago. I literally have never seen it eat! I've tried to feed it night crawlers, ghost shrimp, black worms, blood worms, sinking cichlid gold, massivore, talapia, market shrimp, Rosie reds, goldfish, crappie minnows, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else. I've tried to feed it during the day and at night when he's super active.

I've even isolated him in a smaller 75 for a while and tried the different foods...Nothing!

Can they go this long without eating? I've had monster fire eels in the past and never had this issue as I would eventually find something that they would readily take (I am not new to the fish or the hobby). He seems to always be sniffing around for food an even have the nerve to be honery sometimes with tank mates. The big guy looks healthy and is very active, especially at night. He does seem to be getting smaller though.

Is he eating and I'm just not noticing?

Anyone else have/had this issue?

Anyone have any other ideas/suggestions on what I could do to get him to eat?....Other foods I should try?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
LJ

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Question: how is his body condition? Is it a fat and thick or skinny and bony?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Still pretty thick. I'm out of town but will take a photo when I get home on Monday evening.

lol if it did not eat for a year it would be dead and certainly not thick. You are just not seeing it eat ;)

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
lol if it did not eat for a year it would be dead and certainly not thick. You are just not seeing it eat ;)
It's eating. If it went a full year of being active and swimming and is still healthy looking it is definitely eating something.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. But its still very weird that I have never seen him eat. He has his hiding space but I feed every day and it puzzles me that I have never seen him eat...nor will he eat when I spot feed him...EVER!

Thanks for the reply!

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
If you are super worried, and just want confirmation set up a video camera at an angle where you can see the whole tank and what the eel is doing (probably a bit of a downward shot). Then just put in some food and leave. Review the footage later. You can speed up the playback quite a bit and still know what is going on, just slowing back to normal speed when you think you see eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store