Guess what's in the bag?

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Pretty obvious I guess. Today I was out getting some tacos with my littlest man and we decided to stop in the nearby fish store. I really genuinely hate supporting then as their parent company supports puppy mills and their small animals always look terrible but they are literally the only lfs in my city that isn't a petsmart/petco or strictly salt water. They do have an amazing selection of goldfish, cichlids, plecos, and monster fish (tsn, arapimas, arowanna, occasionally rays, etc) though so I window shop occasionally. Today they had about 10 teeny tiny Senegal bichirs and two rope fish. I had to pick one up as I've never seen a rope before. He's about 10 inches but not quite as thick as a dime. Hopefully I can beef him up and grow him out as well as my other polys! I'm taping every hole over as he acclimates, more pics to come!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1396636624462.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
looks like poopies to me. not counting the wet friend.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
You can't say "guess" an then explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
:( yeah I have a hard time not telling people what their presents are before Christmas. Patience is not my thing.

Some pics of him settled in!

uploadfromtaptalk1396641933473.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396641951223.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396641973848.jpg

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
He won't "thicken up" like a bichir does, so be careful not to overfeed him. They're called ropefish because they're rope-shaped, after all. He does look a little skinny, but not abnormally so.

And yes, cover EVERY hole. I would not keep a ropefish in any kind of a tank with an open (hang on back, etc) filter, and you have to be careful about them getting into overflows that don't have large enough openings as well.

One of the first fish I got was a ropefish, and they're still amongst my favorites, but my first guy escaped by swimming up the waterfall of an AC70 and knocking plastic I'd put there out of the way. Came home to find him dry on my living room floor, and my cats surprisingly terrified.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
He won't "thicken up" like a bichir does, so be careful not to overfeed him. They're called ropefish because they're rope-shaped, after all. He does look a little skinny, but not abnormally so.

And yes, cover EVERY hole. I would not keep a ropefish in any kind of a tank with an open (hang on back, etc) filter, and you have to be careful about them getting into overflows that don't have large enough openings as well.

One of the first fish I got was a ropefish, and they're still amongst my favorites, but my first guy escaped by swimming up the waterfall of an AC70 and knocking plastic I'd put there out of the way. Came home to find him dry on my living room floor, and my cats surprisingly terrified.
No I know he won't get thick like the bichirs; I just want to put a little weight on him and make sure he's the healthiest he can be. I am a little nervous about how slender he is; seeing him side by side with my other polys makes me realize they are larger than I thought.

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
He looks good, very nice color :)
Arapimas? Are you sure? that sounds a little crazy.
Thanks! And yeah, it was labeled as a pima (no price listed since it was already sold) and it looked like the juvenile pics I've seen but I'm not an expert on anything from South America so I couldn't say 100 percent. I don't even know if there are different species of arapima or just the giant one. I doubt no one in my city had the means to properly house one and any pond would have to be heated as we frequently get days of -15 F in the winter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store