tropheus tank mates

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
ive got a 75gl that already had the following.

1 6in frontosa
1 3in frontosa
1 2in brichardi
1 2in cylindricus
1 leupi
2 calvus
1 oranotis
1 5in pleco
1 5in synodontis
1 3in synodontis

i have just added 3 tropheus that are all about 1.5 inches.( firecracker, pineapple, and ikola )
so far all looks to be well, except the brichardi and cylindricus keep beating on the tropheus.

this may subside, but im just currious if this tank seems to work well in yalls opinion.

if i have to get rid of some livestock, i would like to make the tank around the frontosa, and the tropheus
(possibly get more)

all opinions welcome, looking for guidance and if you have had any luck with a simular situation!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Tropheus are best kept in single species groups (of 12 or more) without other tankmates. Because they are basically algae scraping vegetarians, they are especially best "not" kept with carnivores (like frontosa). Although they normally have evolved to eat low protein foods, this will not stop them from gorging on the frontosa's food and not be great for their health.
And best not kept with plecos, as they compete with them for algae on rocks and other decor.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
If I were you I would keep your current tank as is minus tropheus. Then setup a tropheus only tank of at least a dozen or so of them. Give them lots of hiding places and put them all in at once. If you don't new tropheus will get killed. Tropheus also like a good water current in their tank. It will help keep the water well oxygenated something they seem to need. Good luck and your current tank sounds great.

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
well dang. i didnt wanna hear that!

but im glad i asked, thanks guys.

unfortuntly my LFS said i wouldnt have a problem...... :(

looks like i have a decision to makeeeeee, thanks guys

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Sorry lfs told you it would be alright, curious what was in the tank at the lfs that you got the tropheous from? Definately as others suggested give tropheous their own tank, I have had success with NLS exclusively and algae wafers which they would eat. Get at least a dozen and many hiding places these guys are hard on each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store