Combining two four by eight foot sheets of 3/4 inch thick Cell Cast acrylic into one

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I was thinking about combining two four by eight foot sheets of 3/4 inch thick Cell Cast acrylic into one solid sheet that would be 16 feet long. Such as in the future I would like to build a long acrylic tank using basic four by eight foot long four foot wide acrylic sheets that are made out of 3/4 inch thick Cell cast acrylic. I would also like to bond two eight foot long by two foot deep acrylic sheets to form a 16 foot long wall on the side of the fish tank. The idea is that I could build a 900 gallon fish tank for a $1400 vs $20,000 from the tank builders.

Another idea that I have is that I could take six sheets of 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick Cell Cast acrylic that is eight feet long and a foot high and build a 16 foot long water trough to link up to giant fish tanks in my house. In fact I might build this super water trough before I build the monster tank.

Would anyone know if Weldon 40 is powerful enough to do this or Weldon 3?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Weld on #3 or #4 will not work. Me and Phixer have been debating if a type of joint or groove is necessary when butt jointing sheets together with #40 or #42. Im sure he'll chime in on this one hopefully lol... another issue is heating up the material too much and causing crazing/heat fractures. 3/4" may handle the heat but youll probably have more clarity through 1" in the end and also have more area of adhesion in 1". Butting the sheets together and glueing is the easy part. The glue is strong and this type of bond is made all the time in tank construction. The hard part and skill involved come in sanding,buffing, and polishing over the seam to make it disapear. Kinda like bondo work on a car, some people can make it look like nothing is there and others you can see it waving at you a mile away lol...not an easy task. If it were me, id butt join the sheets together and just place a front support over all the seams to hide them, skipping the buffing/sanding part. When you join the sheets you need an overlap of glue say 2-3". Thats what all needs to be buffed down smooth afterwards to hide it on both sides. Most of the jobs ive seen all wave at you or distort from the right angle so y not just cover it afterwards. No biggie imo to have seperated windows by a 2x4 or piece of 2" box steel tube even if the sheets are connected inside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
Thank you for your help. I finished building my first ever acrylic tank from raw cell cast acrylic sheets it is 30 gallon tank. Building the tank on my own saved me about 60% of the cost it would have coasted me to buy from a tank builder new. The reason why I built this 30 gallon tank was to learn how to bond and work with acrylic before I tried building a 475 gallon monster tank out of eight foot by four foot sheets of acrylic.

View attachment 1003715

What I plan to do next is I might make a 16 foot long tank made out of eight foot long foot tall cell cast acrylic sheets to build a long trough. The long trough would be used to link to massive 300 to 500 gallon tanks on each side of a room. I might build this super trough as my first bonding two sheets into one big sheet.

There was also another idea I was thinking about and that is when you try to buy sheets of acrylic over eight feet long and four feet wide it gets really expensive. Such as the cost to buy say a 6 foot wide by 10 foot long sheet of arylic is almost in many cases 40% to 60% more then it would be to buy a four by eight foot sheet. The Bonding of the two four by eight foot sheets would save greatly on costs to build a 16 foot long four foot wide tank.

RexK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Ky
I have no idea what the cost of a 16' sheet of acrylic would be, but your example of a 6'x10' sheet being only 40% to 60% more than 4x8 would actually be a good deal. A 4x8 is 32 sq ft and a 6x10 is 60 sq ft. Seems the cost per square foot comes down with the larger size sheet if your figures are correct.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Oh hell....... you guys are giving me the itch.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
With 3/4 inch you should be able to make a decent joint with solvent. Tricky though to get 0 bubbles. 40/42 is best for material over 1" IMO but can certainly be used for 3/4" although a more complex process than solvent i.e methylene chloride/acetic acid (vinegar).

Much more to this process than meets the eye. Annealing? recommended but not always necessary depending on quality of machining IME. Of primary importance is joint width, too much and you will get an exothermic reaction as the cement boils. Although bubbles can be formed when mixing they also mysteriously appear if too much cement is used due to a quicker reaction and more heat being generated. Too thin of a gap and you wont get the right bond strength or worse a dry joint as it shrinks during curing.

I've had luck with up to 1/4 of an inch gap. Posted pictures of a similar tank on Silent Bobs thread. Remember this stuff shrinks as it drys and too much uncontrolled shrinkage will result in creases in the joint. You have to monitor it as it drys, I use screw jacks made with long sections of threaded rod and give them a turn every few minutes to pull the panels together. This is to ensure no creases take place and the cement level remains above the surface of the panels. Do not add more cement as it is curing the reaction has reached a different stage and adding more will only produce a weaker joint. Similar to a monolithic concrete pour vs layers.

So much more to the process than this, but to prevent long winded posts I'll try to answer any questions as they are asked. Wednesday has some great advice on the use of 40/42 as well and knows what he is talking about.

Keep in mind after the joint is overfilled and the cement is dry you will need to take it down to the same plane/surface as the existing material. I use a hand router along an edge with a 1/2" 3 flute spiral down cut bit (Onsurud # 60-250) to trim down to about 1/16th and then finish with a micromesh kit. Sand in 90 degree angles keeping in mind when you sand the seam down to the surface of the base material you want to end up with a very fine grit. Too course at this point and you have groves left by the sand paper in your cement seam. Trying to remove it will produce a concave surface along the entire seam that will distort the view after trying to sand out the heavy groves produced by to course a grit. Your aiming for an invisible seam so make sure you end up with a smooth seam before you get to the base material. Novis 1 and 2 to finish up in a circular pattern after finishing with 6K grit wet.

This is greatly abbreviated and Im leaving out a lot. If you have any questions ask away, Im sure Wednesday or I should be able to fill in the gaps (no pun intended).

We can discuss annealing or the shape of the edges if you want, a couple options depending on what your trying to achieve, strength, clairity or a little of both, it's always a trade off and much of this depends upon the height of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store