NEED HELP! 6" POLYPTERUS SENEGALUS vs 2.5" POLYPTERUS DELHEZI

bichirbeginner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
central new jersey
Hey guys,
I just upgraded to a bigger tank and brought my polypterus senegalus over to my larger breeder tank. After three days of having the tank settle in (I pre-cycled the new filter and substrate from the old tank over to the new tank + so far everything is great on the levels) I purchased a Brown ghost knife who was at first not warmly welcomed by my 6" polypterus senegalus but after some nipping from both combatants they have settled and for the last couple of days and have been co-existing peacefully. Now I also picked up a polypterus delhezi which I was expecting to be 5-6" as foretold before I ordered it but ended up being 2.5". I'm scared of adding the delhezi baby in-case "fangs" (my senegal) decides to eat him. I put the delhezi baby in a 4" by 2" breeder pod which floats on the top. I have two questions which have been bothering me,

1) the breeder pod has a lid on it so the baby can't gulp air, if it still has its external gills does this mean it doesn't need to gulp? Or should I right away remove the lid so the baby won't die from lack of oxygen?

2) will the baby even grow a little in this breeder pod or will the pod stunt it? I am strapped for cash(used the last of it for the emergency pod) so I can't afford a divider for the next week... I was hoping to grow him to around 3.5-4" in the pod till I released him and let him join the community...

please help me guys,
I'd greatly appreciate all feedback,
thanks!

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I would try and make a little room for air. I would leave him in the pod until next week when you can afford the divider and then buy the divider. I wouldn't keep him in the pod too long as he will most likely get stunted.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
i had a 3" polypterus senegalus and added a 5" one a few weeks later. they get along great. never had a single problem. they kinda stick together too.

bichirbeginner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
central new jersey
Really? I mean my senegal is real fat this baby delhezi is like 1/4th of its girth, are you positive it would get along? I've heard that polys can and will be cannibalistic. When he was together with two albinos he was a quite aggressive for a couple of days

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
no i am not positive, only speaking from my one and only experience. what you say is true tho, the larger one has swallowed a feeder goldfish i was certain he couldn't. and he has pulled a feeders from my clown knife fish mouth. i have a 7" eel and he did bite on to it and started spinning around like he usually does with larger prey. luckily he let go, seemed like he mistaked him for the feeders. but the two bichirs get along great.

all fish are different tho

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Really? I mean my senegal is real fat this baby delhezi is like 1/4th of its girth, are you positive it would get along? I've heard that polys can and will be cannibalistic. When he was together with two albinos he was a quite aggressive for a couple of days
I wouldn't put then in the same tank but for me as Lon as my larger polys have been well fed they do great with smaller polys. Right now I have about a 3" Teugelsi in with a 5"moke and weeksii a 6" weeksii a 7" retropinnis and a 7" moke and haven't had any problems yet. But I'd lean toward keeping them seperated with that size difference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store