Underfiltering and under-heating questions - Rope fish, siren, etc

Catnkit

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
Hey all, question... I'm changing things around and have two setups like so...

Tank 1 - 40g breeder
-3 young rope fish
-1 7" senegalus bichir
-4" Siamese algae eater
-3" bushy-nose pleco

I'm converting all my tanks to underwater filtration, can I get away with a single Fluval u2 for this? (rated for 30g tanks) I'm thinking I can, but should still get a U1 (+15g) to be safe.

Second, and more pressing tank:

Tank 2 - 40g breeder
-1 16" lesser siren

This one I'm hoping to get away with a single U2 (30g), if it was 30g of water it would be fine, but add another 10g and even thought he filtration is spread thinner, more water, yes? Second part, the heater from the older tank I'm transferring him out of is an Elite heater 100w, rated for 30g. Can I get away with that in a 40g too?

I don't want to risk any of my critters or give them sub-par care, but I do want to know if buying extra/new equipment is REALLY necessary in these cases.

Catnkit

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
Quieter, no chance of filter backflowing, better able to seal off the tank from escapees, tanks closer to the wall and giving me more space, why wouldn't I? It seems to work better for me.

Catnkit

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
No, air pumps are too loud. I'm really sensitive to the noise. Is there something wrong with underwater filters? I thought they were good.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
If u love it , do it. But I've heard nothing but bad things about them

Sent from my LGMS769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Catnkit

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
Kay... so if I can establish that the fluvals seem to be okay internal filters for my purposes, can I get an opinion on whether of not it's okay to get a 30g filter and 30g heater hold up a 40g tank?

-Edit: Until I get some opinions to that point, I'll run the siren tank with 30g of water. I'll stick with two filters on the rope fish tank just to be safe for multiple critters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store