ID please

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I was just at the cabelas in wheeling West Virginia and went into the aquarium there. I could I'd every fish there expect one including some common plecos and an RTC (lol). But I couldn't figure out what this was for the life of me. I don't know whether it's native or tropical since they had an RTC which I suspected someone brought in. It looked like a sandy tan colored walleye with a few black splotches. It was about 16-18 inches and very lethargic.
Sorry for the bad quality but it was the best picture and only one I could get, lucky I could get any picture because one second it was laying there motionless for a few minutes then I look back and it was nowhere in sight.

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Really? I've never seen a sauger look like that....Here is a better picture after photo editing

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, after googling it looks like a few (but not the majority) have those vivid black marks.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I agree, looks like a sauger. Never heard of them in captivity before.
Plenty of sauger and walleyes have been kept in captivity. The problem is that they are super inactive and they won't take anything but live foods. Think them as Raphael catfish...they comes out after dark.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Plenty of sauger and walleyes have been kept in captivity. The problem is that they are super inactive and they won't take anything but live foods. Think them as Raphael catfish...they comes out after dark.
I've thought about ways to keep them before and still have them be active (not that I'm going to have a big enough tank anytime soon). Maybe if you did very, very subdued lighting and cold water that would stimulate activity. Or not, just brainstorming.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Not really, the only way to get them active would be drop few feeders in the tank and enjoy 10-30 seconds of the fish show till they got all feeders and back to inactive status.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not really, the only way to get them active would be drop few feeders in the tank and enjoy 10-30 seconds of the fish show till they got all feeders and back to inactive status.
Haha, guess that's why I never see them while diving.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store