Are these parasites?

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
She has acted funny since I got her, she doesn't refuse food but she'll chew on it and then spit it out she hasn't really eaten anything about a week or two. I took her out and put her in her own tank turn the heat up put some salt in there and added prazi pro. She continues to go after the food but doesn't quite eat it, almost like she doesn't know what she's doing. Looking at her up close today I saw this around and, is this something to be concerned about what it be part of my problem?image.jpg

image.jpg

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Looks like something on one of her spots possibly fish lice? Not to clear of a pic. if those look bugs watch them they should move around. you should also be able to see eye spots. try to get a better pic

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
They don't move, I can't see any eyes, and they don't look like that picture. When I put live of black worms in there she tries to eat them and even did eat some this morning however she just takes forever to eat the worms. She's not a very aggressive eater and doesn't take in very much food is acting kind of strange almost as if she doesn't know what. She was curling her back disc almost straight up for a little while then I turn the heat up added salt medication now not so much anymore. She is extremely thin and I'm running out of options I don't know what

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Is she wild caught? How hot is your tank, do not get it too hot just keep below 85 unless you have lots of aeration. If she is wild caught adding salt and prazi can actually cause them to not eat if done too early. Wild rays are best left alone until they settle and eat good then you can medicate. Try ghost shrimp, out of all the many rays I have owned I only had one wild ray refuse ghost shrimp. I think they eat similar food in the wild.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
From the pic she looks like a nice looking ray and I would not be concerned about whatever that is between her eyes

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Hmm what foods have you tried? Disc curling is not a good sign. What a're your water parameters?

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I'm not sure of wild caught or bit...the guy told me it came from rich Ross at stingray biology. However, I don't think I believe him. Water is at about 84, she may be stressed yet from being in the other tank with a couple larger rays. She ate a few live black worms this morning, she will nibble in shrimp but doesn't really eat a whole lot. I was told she's a BD/pearl so I assumed it was captive bred. I'm not sure what I should do? Keep salt or just keep water changes frequent?

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Just water change back to clean water and let her relax and get adjusted. If she is not a skeleton she can go weeks without food so she will eat when hungry enough. Usually we the fish keeper sabotage ourselves by reacting to quick to a stressful situation and in turn add more stress because we feel we have to do something. Sometime doing nothing is the best fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I agree with FishDog, water change and let her destress. If she is truly CB and trying to eat she will. Give her time. Chances of her having parasites are slim being captive bred. Lights off and cover if in a higher traffic area. Use live foods that you can leave in there to feed at her own pace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store