Setting up a 500 gallon tank wanted to know how many adult rays I can safely house?

Scott Evergreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2014
Montana
Hi been setting up my new 500 gallon tank. Ready to start stocking it just wanted to know how many rays I can house in tank while giving the rays adequate space. I will also have a few peacock bass in tank. Figured mfk forum members would be best to ask on this. Thank you so much for the help

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
4-5 rays depending on size. Similar to size of half my big tank, each side is 7' x 3' and I have 4 on one side from 13"-18" and 5 on other ranging from 11"-13" and I would say they still have plenty of room but would not add anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Males are not territorial so you can have multiple in a system. I have two on each side and they do not bother each other. Actually the females imo seem to be more aggressive in daily life with the males only getting aggressive when breeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Had 5 in my 7'x3' for the last 4 years without issue. I recently added a 6th ray but am upgrading sometime this year. My largest black female is probably the most aggro followed by the other females especially while feeding. My males dont even acknowledge eachother.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store