Giant Gourami Information/Set-Up

Suka

Feeder Fish
Apr 5, 2014
Central Louisiana
I am in the process of re-sealing my 75 gallon aquarium to set up as a Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy) grow-out tank. I already have his 125 gallon permanent home, it just needs to be transported from my parent's home in Florida to my home in Louisiana. It will be slow-going getting everything set up as I just had a baby and she is sucking us dry at the moment not to mention I am still finishing up my 10 gallon community tank's stocking but I will make sure it is set up properly before ordering him. I will probably eventually start setting aside $20 a paycheck in prep for this tank and get things as I have the money.

Filtration-wise, I plan on doing 14x turnover an hour with external filters. I will be ordering two SunSun hw-304s when the time comes. At 525gph, that puts me at 1,050gph on this tank. Starting out with a 2" fish, this should be sufficient for some time. I also like to stock my filters with 1/4 mechanical and 3/4 biological media, as I take care not to over-feed and I can siphon out most waste and detritus with water changes. I prefer more ground for BB than less work for me. I fishless cycle with 4ppm of ammonia so it won't be an issue adding fish when the time comes.

I would prefer that I had tankmates while he was little, but I honestly may just go with a school of clown loaches (5-7) to grow with him and make some bottom movement as I don't want to re-home smaller fish and don't want an aggressive community later on. As far as decor goes, I'm going to use black sand and some large river rocks as a centerpiece (not too large, I promise! The more swimming room the better!) with the possibility of some fake plants as I read that the Gourami will eat live ones. The rocks will be removed once he is larger, however, to keep the inhibitance of swimming room to a minimum. (I think I just made that word up, lol.)

I would appreciate any personal experience with these fish and any input on my planned set-up.

Thank you!
Suka (sue-kah)

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
if I remember correctly, 125 isn't big enough for a giant gourami.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Suka

Feeder Fish
Apr 5, 2014
Central Louisiana
I know a few people that have gotten them from my LFS and they haven't hit anywhere past 15" in the 10 years they've had them. They keep them alone in 125+ tanks which is where I got the number. Is there a smaller species of GG? Or are these just possibly bred to stay smaller by whoever the LFS orders from maybe?

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Even though you know a few people that got lucky, it doesn't guarantee you will be a lucky as them. And maybe they're not lucky, maybe the fish are stunted. But that was just speculation on my part.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Scrap the 75, use the 125 as your grow-out and plan on setting up a 240 as a "semi permanent" home, to give you time to plan for a larger system. These are by no means a fish to be housed by anyone other than a dedicated hobbyist; one not afraid of throwing large sums of cash towards housing a fish that gets 30"+. A 125 is not a suitable "lifetime" tank for a giant gourami by any stretch of the imagination. Period.

That being said, feel free to keep the gourami in the 75 for life. You just won't make many friends on a forum based around properly caring for large fish :grinno:

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Their DNA says they can get to 30" and larger. Naturally, each is different and not all of them have perfect conditions, but being half size after 10 years is not being well kept. Moreover these are quite personable fish and well worth the effort to keep them as healthy single pets.

If you can't get them into a much larger tank, there are smaller gouramis that would be attractive alternatives imo and I highly recommend them as options.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
My mates Red tail GG is already 8" in 4 & half months, I cant see a 120 working long term at all. Id say something at least 3ft wide long term 6ft in length as a minimal. even this would be a bit small based of some pinks / whites I have seen.

I have seen pinks close to 30" if not larger they matched the pacu at work, reds I have not seen as big (20" biggest for me)/

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
A GG will get to 15 inches very quickly, in a year or so, and it sure won't stop there. Like others are saying, it just won't work with a 125. I don't think 3-foot-wide is necessary, though obviously bigger is better. I think a standard 240 is plenty. Great fish, though, and if you can get a 240 I say go for it.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I know a few people that have gotten them from my LFS and they haven't hit anywhere past 15" in the 10 years they've had them. They keep them alone in 125+ tanks which is where I got the number. Is there a smaller species of GG? Or are these just possibly bred to stay smaller by whoever the LFS orders from maybe?

if they had the pink or common variety, then they were not feeding them correctly in the early years.

I had a giant gourami for 8 years in the 90s (pink one) that was purchased in 91 long before there was the web of info we had now. all we had were these old things called "books"..and they were full of misinformation lol

the LFS told us it would get big but not that big.

well, 2 years later it was 20 inches long and weighed about 8 pounds. Amazing fish.

our tank was WAY too small for it but its all we had and he became a great family pet. we had him by himself in a 90g. he was very aggressive but an awesome fish. HIs name was Sammy. I miss him LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store