Female bettas..?

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
I had to take these two girls in recently after my sister left for basic training. Im housing them in 1 1/2 gallon glass vases with soome devils ivy.. She picked the two girls up at walmart but they are actually pretty cute lol..

I was curious to see if i placed the two in one of my peaceful community setups would they be ok, or would the dominant female bully the other still even with other fish in the setup?

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Here's the current setups. I just think they would be much happier in a nice, small community. Opinions?

uploadfromtaptalk1396762358574.jpg

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I've kept females in comm setups with no prob and I don't think that is rare. never had them fight like males.
I like their personalities for small fish.

Julee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2014
Kent, CT
If you're going to keep multiple females in a tank, try to have no less than six to distribute the aggression. :)

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
If you're going to keep multiple females in a tank, try to have no less than six to distribute the aggression. :)
I've seen things like that posted before, and yet I never had any aggression to spread out. not saying it never happens, but it's not that big of a deal to put them in and see how they act. having tall plants can't hurt (real OR fake). if things don't work just move one out. they're easy enough to catch.

Julee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2014
Kent, CT
I have been keeping females in sororities for about ten years, things can be fine for a while and then turn nasty. Sometimes it takes a while, but the fewer females you have, the higher risk it is.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Julee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2014
Kent, CT
(Sorry for the double post, I'm on the app and don't know how to edit!)

Having the tank heavily planted (fake or real, doesn't matter) really helps, as does having other small, peaceful fish in the tank. :)

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Thanks everyone! And again would bettas be able to spawn in larger aquariums, heavily planted and decorated with about a dozen females and one male? A natural themed breeding setup would be stunning in a larger tank.. is it worth a try?

Julee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2014
Kent, CT
Bettas are not easy to breed, do not keep males and females together in the same tank unless breeding.

In order to breed, they need a partially filled tank, the male makes a bubblenest, courts and breeds with the female. You then remove the female, leave the male until the fry are free swimming, then remove the male and rear the fry on microworms and vinegar eels for a few days, then BBS. The fry are not terribly hardy and can be tricky to raise, do anything wrong and you end up with no ventrals, bent rays, bent spines...

Reiterating again not to keep a male with females unless breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store