New Bichir (poly) but already hurt :(

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Hello I finally other bichirs came to my city and bichirs were already not common here!! Senegals once a year and pnly ever say dels, and endis before! But I got a lap!!! unfortunatly for some odd reason my cryptoheros didn't like him :( I had a photoshot of the fin but somehow only one actually came out before the camera died. More to come but do you think theres a chance for fin regrowth it is red and looks fleshy but the entire nub seems to be there. I had worse on my snook before and it had a total regrowth.
hurt lspp - Copy.JPG

hurt lspp - Copy.JPG

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I would think with good water parameter, and making sure he gets food well should help him recover. Ive never had a bichir get hurt that bad though, if you can get a large tank to keep him in until he heals.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I think it should grow back because it's not bitten all the way down. Heres a pic of the regeneration of the polypterus' fin

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
one of my laps had his fin bitten off by a weeksii which was just about as bad as ur pic. its been growing back for about 2 months. it looks funny, but it looks like it should grow back all the way and i would guess we are about halfway there

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Well thanks everyone, it just eases my mind! Indeed I will do my best to keep the water extra clean!

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
I think it should grow back because it's not bitten all the way down. Heres a pic of the regeneration of the polypterus' fin
Thank you for the pic!!
Polys are one of the only fish that have the ability to completely regrow fins. If you keep the tank in good condition and feed hime well, it should grow back. Did you get him from Spencer?
Oh well you learn something new everyday! Thank you! And of course I got him from Spencer :p

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Is he at least eating? I think thats something you need to make sure happens. If he gets blocked out by tank mates and doesn't get enough to eat that will cause more problems and maybe even death. I had this happen to one of my first senegalus I bought 2 at a young age and one just didn't like the other and bit his fins off. I would place food by his head hoping he would get it at night, but the other one ended up getting it. I later that month found him dead trying to eat the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store