water change for 10X3X2.5

silverarowana1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Just want to see what your guys opinions with WC. I have tank 10X3X2.5 (L/W/H) with breeding Paired Motoro, 1 x large peacock bass and 2 x silver dollar. Filter: sump 6x2x18" with 25 ltrs of K1, 4 ltrs of matrix, 5 ltrs marine pure. Would your guy thing I can get away with 50% water change in every two weeks?? at the moment I do 25% WC weekly. I feed the fish once a day (mainly Hikari Sinking Cani) then market prawns once a week.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I would suggest you constantly check parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and you will see then after few months if nitrates are building up even making WC, then you should make it more often..

You also can check it on aqadvisor.com where you get calculation based on tank, fitration and fishes in it :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Auto drip mate. You won't regret it. Can be a hastle to set up but once done you never do water changes again.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Never again will i do manual water changes on any large tank. By manual i mean with a python. Still its just long and needless. If your tank is that big you "need" a drip system. That is unless you don't care to spend lots of your time removing and adding water. I also like how your tank always remains at constant parameters and the fish remain much happier when things don't fluctuate.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Personally I would stick to once a week. But you arent heavily stocked so spend a month checking parameters before you do your water change and see where they are at. If you are showing ammonia or nitrites you will need to do more frequently.
I have went two weeks on occasion when extremely busy and checked my params out of curiosity and showed no ammonia or nitrites and I am heavily stocked.

I am not one to telly you to use a drip cause I dont use one. I do 50-60% once a week religiously. Plus I enjoy the interaction when in tank with the rays. It allows me to keep on top of cleaning algae off the glass and other objects, plus this is when I do hand feeding when the water is low.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Drip system is the only way to go on a tank that size

Get the sump drilled and run a pipe to the main drain and your good to go

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
A properly stocked and cycled tank should not have ammonia and nitrite issues if you reduce your wc frequency. You will most likely have nitrate issues; you can take steps to reduce that by using portos or some other method. Test your water prior to your water change and see nitrate level is okay or not. If you have ammonia or nitrite issues, you'll need to reduce stock or increase filtration.

As for wc methods, I use the back flush port on my eheim to drain and a garden hose to fill; 50% on 300 will take 45 min but I don't need to be actively engaged for most of that time.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
I use to be able to do a 50% wc on my 12x4x4 in about 1.5 hrs. I used a submersible pump from lowes( which was junk) and plumbed waterlines from an upstairs shower over the tank. I now will use my laguna 4280 to pin the water out so we will see how much that speeds me up. I prefer doing 30% weekly on mine though. That way water temps stay closer to normal. I drop 2 degrees at 30% and 4 at 50%.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store