Under filtration

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I know you can pretty much never over filtrate a tank but what are signs or how do you tell if your filtration is enough? Mechanical is easy if water is clear it's good. Right? But biological to me is a little harder to tell so what are ways to tell, ammonia nitrates nitrites? Or is there something more like how fast they climb?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ammonia, if you never have ammonia(and eventual nitrites) you are cycled...a cycled tank has" enough" filtration...now if your fish grow , or you add fish, all bets are off ,everything then is subject to change

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Only way to find out is to invest in. Good test kit. Each time you add a fish, test if your filter is handling the bio-load. Likewise, as the fish gets bigger, again test for water parameters.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I know you can pretty much never over filtrate a tank but what are signs or how do you tell if your filtration is enough? Mechanical is easy if water is clear it's good. Right? But biological to me is a little harder to tell so what are ways to tell, ammonia nitrates nitrites? Or is there something more like how fast they climb?

If you are new to biological filtration, try purchasing a canister filter............I have been using fluval and rena canister filters for awhile now.....ONly recently have I been building my own filters...............WET/DRY filters are the ultimate in filtration............They are also fun.............I can grow bamboo in their holding tanks................Growing plants and having crustaceans living in with the plants increases the chemical/biological filtering of the water............

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Think of it this way. Your tank (its occupants, how much you feed, etc.) produces a certain amount of waste. If you have enough biological filtration, you are cycled. You could have, just to illustrate the point, 1000 pounds of Matrix and a single goldfish, but the bacteria needed to process that goldfish's waste would be exactly the right amount regardless of the amount of media or flow...because your would only be feeding that population. If you were to added another goldfish to the system the amount of waste (bacteria food) would go up and the bacterial population would too, and would have no trouble keeping up with this modest increase in food supply. Adding 100 goldfish, though, would mean that despite how much surface area (the Matrix) they have, and the sudden abundance of food (ammonia and then nitrite), the bacterial population would not have enough time to grow to keep levels at zero. They would get there eventually but in the meantime that bad stuff would accumulate and kill your fish.

But to get to your question, I guess, more directly, under filtration would be where the bacteria do not have a place or the flow to process the waste, no matter how much time and food/waste you give them. So, a goldfish in a bowl with no flow or biomedia would have some bacteria on the surfaces, but not enough to process the waste fast enough. So it is underfiltered and the ammonia acculumates and the fish dies.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So always having ammonia is a sign of under filtration? I don't think I'll have a problem just wondered how to tell and what got me thinking is if I wanted to do a diy sump how many compartments and what type of media and setup would be needed right now my 220 is filtered with a wet dry at 1200 gph

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store