Bichirs with wolf fish?

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Hey everyone, I currently have a 180gallon aquarium set up with 9 bichirs. Range from 7-15". 4 parrot blood red parrot fish range from 6-8" and one fire eel 12". I have a seperate 15 gallon tank set up currently holding a 5" (eyeballed) white tip wolf fish. I have to take down the 15g within the next few months. My question is, is it safe to put the white tip in with the bichirs without it getting eaten or injured? All fish in the 180g are eating tilapia fillet, smelt, and market shrimp. Wolf fish is on pellets, tilapia fillet, and guppy feeders. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
No experience with wolf fish but i know bichirs will eat ANYTHING that fits in their mouths and moves.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
With the sizes you mention and the wolf fish being 5" or so I would say try and avoid it if possibly. People have kept them together successfully (not sure if they've kept that exact species, but have heard of them being ok with red wolves), but usually around the same size. What species are the larger bichirs?

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
With the sizes you mention and the wolf fish being 5" or so I would say try and avoid it if possibly. People have kept them together successfully (not sure if they've kept that exact species, but have heard of them being ok with red wolves), but usually around the same size. What species are the larger bichirs?
Largest bichir is a 15" congicus, and then 15" faranah lap, 14" ornate, 12" palmas palmas and the rest r below 10" endli, albino Senegal, Senegal, lap.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
yeah I would try my best to not put him in the tank with that stock. If you for some reason absolutely have to I would keep them well fed and give him tons of hiding places or even divide the tank and give him some room.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
yeah I would try my best to not put him in the tank with that stock. If you for some reason absolutely have to I would keep them well fed and give him tons of hiding places or even divide the tank and give him some room.
I don't think that would work. All his large poly's are LJ species and that congicus and faranah lap will easily look at the wolf as food if its only 5"

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
The tank has no hiding places right now, just sand on the bottom. I will definitely add a bunch of driftwood and live plants.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
If you have a few months, keep him well fed and do lots of water changes. That should spur his growth and make him more likely to survive.
I never skip a meal for the wolf fish and do a 30% water change every other day. He is comfortably always under a piece of driftwood :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store