Your Aquarium library

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I love reading, and so a major part of my library is devoted to fish keeping. Mostly cichlid books (the big Axelrod books are there of course) are there, but I've got several on general aquarium keeping, salt water topics, stingrays, and even a book on a fish I've never kept, piranha.

I like to be ready before something comes up (same approach I take with much of my DIY home improvement). I'm curious to find out if you are building a fish library of actual books, and what kinda topics dominate your collection.

By the way, I also have one that I found at half price books devoted entirely to the topic of aquascaping. It is fascinating! Among my favorite books are "A Manual of Tankbusters" and "Axelrod's atlas...". Another is the smaller Axelrod book from the late 70s which describes freshwater Wolf fish as "Mud Characins". It was that book which made me absolutely sure that one day I would own not only one of them, but also Discus!

Oh, I also keep all of the fish magazines I've collected over the years; FAMA, Practical Fishkeeping, and a few oddballs that are produced to look like newspapers, but deal exclusively with the aquarium hobby and trade.

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
My library is Google. I do like reading actual books but my phone takes up less space than those paper things. Which in turn gives me more places to put aquariums and house plants.

Signature

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I've got a big library of fish books all the way back to my childhood...and I pick up a book for two each year.

That said, my main cichlid reference is The Cichlid Room Companion (www.cichlidae.com). It's the most complete, comprehensive and accurate resource out there. It's curated by folks like Juan Miguel Artigas, Ad Konings and Anton Lamboj, which ensures that it is high quality. It's $30 per year but worth every penny.

Loiselle's "The Cichlid Aquarium" is a great book on the foundations of cichlid-keeping (or fishkeeping for that matter).

Matt

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
That said, my main cichlid reference is The Cichlid Room Companion (www.cichlidae.com). It's the most complete, comprehensive and accurate resource out there. It's curated by folks like Juan Miguel Artigas, Ad Konings and Anton Lamboj, which ensures that it is high quality. It's $30 per year but worth every penny.

Matt
I've been thinking about signing up with them, gonna hafta pull that trigger!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I got into the hobby before Google and wiki kicked off so I have a few books in the cabinet under one of my tanks...ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1396918853.732987.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1396918883.293957.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Collect your own "must haves", but use your local library. Tons and tons of books to read and buy. Support your local library I always say. You pay taxes anyway so cash in on it! I am buying a whole pile of good books for pennys on the dollar when they have a book sale.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good tip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store