JD/Oscar hybrids?

fishonfishonfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
florida
I have a jd and an oscar in my pond and for the last few days they have both been huddled up together around a rock and been very territorial ( even bit my dog when he stuck his nose in the water) i can make out what i believe to be a few eggs and they are fertilized. I didn't think oscars could cross breed so how is this possible? the eggs are fertilized and definitely theirs so should i expect some little mutant hybrid fish or will they probably not hatch.

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
As far as I know there is no oscar hybrids with anything. I seriously doubt they are going to hatch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Not possible, Oscar can't hybridize with anything other that the other Oscars species. Nothing is closely related enough to produce viable offspring

Sent from my VS840 4G

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I have a jd and an oscar in my pond and for the last few days they have both been huddled up together around a rock and been very territorial ( even bit my dog when he stuck his nose in the water) i can make out what i believe to be a few eggs and they are fertilized. I didn't think oscars could cross breed so how is this possible? the eggs are fertilized and definitely theirs so should i expect some little mutant hybrid fish or will they probably not hatch.

Eggs hatch within 3-4 days...........The hybrid will definatley be color of the JD, but best hope for the attitude of the oscar....

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How about that...bet no one ever thought a Red tailed catfish could be crossed with a Paroon shark...or a RTC with a Psudodoras niger.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
How about that...bet no one ever thought a Red tailed catfish could be crossed with a Paroon shark...or a RTC with a Psudodoras niger.
These catfish hybrids were done in laboratory.

And I found it to be unlikely for Oscars hybridizing with other cichlids successfully.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
These catfish hybrids were done in laboratory.

And I found it to be unlikely for Oscars hybridizing with other cichlids successfully.
Agreed, oscars would need to be laboratory crossed. I say it would be impossible to do in a aquarist tank. Oscars can't hybridized except with the two other Oscar species

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store