Added the Rainbow Trout to the Koi tank!

BenJammin369

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
Rapid City, SD
My son and I decided we would transfer our 10in Rainbow to 75gal tank. Currently our 6-8in Koi are in the tank. The trout and koi seem to get along. Trout is kinda domineering with her new tank mates. Never thought I'd have a trout mixed with the koi.

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
Not a good combo. Trout are aggressive cold water nervous fin nipping scale eating fish. They require a great deal of oxygen water flow etc. this will totally stress and then kill the koi. This does not include the potential pathogens from the trout that the koi are not use to.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Bad idea to get a trout when the summer is coming up soon...

BenJammin369

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
Rapid City, SD
I agree the trout to a terrible match in the koi tank. Ive had the trout for a year plus now, my 8 year old son has kept her alive. The trout had outgrown her previous tank and we moved her. Im planning on changing the setup soon as this arrangement is not conducive.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I agree the trout to a terrible match in the koi tank. Ive had the trout for a year plus now, my 8 year old son has kept her alive. The trout had outgrown her previous tank and we moved her. Im planning on changing the setup soon as this arrangement is not conducive.
Many people on this site have fish that shouldn't be with other fish, yet you hardly, if ever hear about it. You've had the trout for a year now or longer, I think you are doing great. I guess South Dakota doesn't have summers......

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Many people on this site have fish that shouldn't be with other fish, yet you hardly, if ever hear about it. You've had the trout for a year now or longer, I think you are doing great. I guess South Dakota doesn't have summers......
The trout waters in SD are always cold, even in middle of hottest day. Don't misinterpreted it that they can tolerate warm temperature because they survived in summers.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
The trout waters in SD are always cold, even in middle of hottest day. Don't misinterpreted it that they can tolerate warm temperature because they survived in summers.
Well then there was no reason for this statement............ Bad idea to get a trout when the summer is coming up soon...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Well then there was no reason for this statement............ Bad idea to get a trout when the summer is coming up soon...
Especially when the aquarium or koi pond will get hot easily during the summer but I am assuming that the aquarium must be kept in the basement.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Food would be an issue too....the trout would need higher protein content food than the koi.. not sure how you would go about getting separate food to the right fish in a shared tank. Guess you won't worry about it and hope it never develops any deficiencies.

BenJammin369

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
Rapid City, SD
The tanks are in the basement of the home. Trout tank stays at a constant 60-64 degrees, a bit on the warm side if you ask me as our waters are typically below this temperature. The trout has been placed in its new home and is doing great. The koi tank is back to harmony with the dictator in her new spot. No noticeable transference of pathogens is present.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store