Sending Fry via usps Priority

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Someone pretty much explained to me how they do it and I researched a bit myself, so I think I am good to go. However, I am not sure if I should declare live fish on the box, or fragile...perishable, etc. because I heard this can cause shipping delays and even malicious handling by a**hole workers who might enjoy messing with the mail. I'm not saying this is true, just what I have read. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to get the package from point A to point B using the USPS without having them bug you about whether it is waterproof, mailable, etc. From what I gather, it is perfectly ok to mail fish as long as they are packaged right. But I know this cause I just finished reading it in the USPS manual, I just hope the postal employees are read up as well. Has anyone had any problems with their post office asking about whether there are fluids and packaging issues? And what should I write on the box...live fish, fragile, this way up, etc. ??? Any advice from your personal shipping experiences will be greatly appreciated. Just want to make sure my fry get to their destination alright and hassle-free. Thanks

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
The folks I buy fish from will label the box 'Fish' and draw an arrow 'this way up' so handlers will not turn it upside down. Insure the package and you are good to go.

Live Fish, Fragile, Do not leave in the cold and oh yes that upside arrow.

*** a-hole folks ---- so far USPS has been great, they even call me to let me know the package is in the location and will ask me if I want to pick it up now or wait later to be delivered.

tantrick

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
St. Louis
In theory I agree that it is a very practical way of shipping smaller, 2" and under, fish. That said, my last experience of a supposed 2 day shipping turned into 5 1/2 days with no weather or explained reason for the delay. I was also shocked that they were just dropped off with no knocking on the door or anything despite the box saying live fish on the top. So like chopsteeks said insure your package.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I will only ship 24 hour guarantee, that way using the post office you get your shipping money back if a plane is delayed due to weather, or mechanical failure, or whatever.
I tried shipping Milwaukee to Utah once using the "if it fits, it ships one price"(no guarantee), and after 4 days, only half the fish arrived alive, luckily I included double the amount of fish that were ordered.
The guys at my local post office figured out that I only ship fish, and don't bother asking any more.

Catfishracer

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2009
London, UK
Its not worth all the hoop jumping through usps to maybe get your money back on lost fish. I haven't been able too. And really don't know anyone that has. They make it near impossible. I use FedEx now. But regardless FedEx or USPS I never label as live fish. When they ask liquid perishable or potential hazardous I give the big NO. I believe this really does save delays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store