New 180G setup, need ideas for species, etc..

ThePiranhaKeeper

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2014
Unknown
Hello,

I have a 180 Gallon tank, that I am in the process converting to freshwater from saltwater. It's almost done, just repainting my stand, and reinforcing it. I have to clean the tank out really good, and figure out how to clean the overflow boxes very well. I am going to resilicone my sump and tank, just in case...

But, I need some ideas of how I should arrange the tank, and what species to keep. I like species such as the red tail catfish, arowanas, tiger shovelnose, etc...
I need some input on how many fish I should put in there, and what types. Also I need some recommendations on aquascaping, and the substrate, as this is going to be in the living room of my home, so I need it to look nice.

Ill post pictures when its all done!

thanks,
thepiranhakeeper

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Hello,

I have a 180 Gallon tank, that I am in the process converting to freshwater from saltwater. It's almost done, just repainting my stand, and reinforcing it. I have to clean the tank out really good, and figure out how to clean the overflow boxes very well. I am going to resilicone my sump and tank, just in case...

But, I need some ideas of how I should arrange the tank, and what species to keep. I like species such as the red tail catfish, arowanas, tiger shovelnose, etc...
I need some input on how many fish I should put in there, and what types. Also I need some recommendations on aquascaping, and the substrate, as this is going to be in the living room of my home, so I need it to look nice.

Ill post pictures when its all done!

thanks,
thepiranhakeeper
None of the fish you mention can fit in your tank. List what types of fish you want (ancient, catfish, aggressive, characin, cichlids etc) and then we can help

catfish2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2014
Redding California USA
You can do monster catfish in your 180 like red tail catfish and the tiger shovelnose only if they are small but they do grow pretty fast each of the catfish you named will need at least a 1000 gal tank when full grown for instance I bought my rtc x tsn hybrid when it was little like around 2-4" and now he's almost 24" and its still a baby do research on your fish before you buy them to make sure you still want them

Sent from my Z750C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

byrdman75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2013
STL
You can do monster catfish in your 180 like red tail catfish and the tiger shovelnose only if they are small but they do grow pretty fast each of the catfish you named will need at least a 1000 gal tank when full grown for instance I bought my rtc x tsn hybrid when it was little like around 2-4" and now he's almost 24" and its still a baby do research on your fish before you buy them to make sure you still want them

Sent from my Z750C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
the RTC will outgrow the tank in a year, the TSN will outgrow it in 9 months. i wouldnt recommended getting those. the arowana will work for a couple of years but not for life. maybe check out small gars or some knife fish? are you an Oscar fan? maybe a Big Cichlid fan, Green Terrors Look great when they are full grown.

firemouthdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2009
NZ
If you get a tat or a scomb for your vampire fish they would be fine in that size tank. For aquascaping i'd recommend looking through this forum and you will get lots of inspiration. Some nice driftwood and sand or keep it bb or even tiles for ease of cleaning. Also look into smaller shovelnose catfish species if you really want a largish catfish.

BrandonJ3vino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2012
Salinas
Try datnoids... They are slow growers and also have a royal look to them... There are also some gars that are pretty cool but yes most of the fish you posted will out grow your tank within a year or so

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

arowanafinatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2014
Brampton, Ontario
those catfish are too large for a 180 they need a pond or a huge tank like 1000 gallons lol. Jardini is plausible, maybe you could do a south american tank with large cichlids? I think you can order payara from aquabid or dr.Foster not sure tho i don't order fish online

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store