Female Leo eating Poo!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
During my Leo's last pregnancy I noticed her eating curlers. I upped her feedings to 3-4 times daily and she still ate them. I thought it was just a pregnant female thing, but she just gave birth last week (pics and new thread coming soon!) and I still honestly have not seen a poop in my tank in over a month.

I know they have to be pooping. they eat over half a pound of food daily. but I suspect she is eating it before I have a chance to even see it. The tank runs on an overflow sump so most of the poo wouldn't make it down the overflow drains. It also has a 2262 but that has a filter guard so the poo would get stuck there and I would notice it.

How do I get her to stop eating S#$T ?!? She's very well fed. Is this bad for her? This can't be normal behavior can it?

What are your thoughts? I used to scoop Poo out nearly daily before her pregnancy. Now there may be a few food crumbs but never a turd.

....I just want her to stop eating doo doo...

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Ive never caught mine actually swallow poop but i often see them chew a large turd so it gets all broken up in to very small pieces and then gets filtered very fast...

Did she get knocked up again right after giving birth?

My big females show strange behaviors almost right after getting knocked up. Biting air hoses, shooting water out the back of the tank, swimming upside down on the lids, etc

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I seen my BDLeo breed her again yet, very possible he's a hornball. I did see massive white cloudy fuzz floating around and coming out of her about 2 days after the pups came. I assumed it was the afterbirth, but maybe he bred her again. How long after birth do you notice afterbirth Trev? What does it look like? Does this sounds like it was an all white fuzzy afterbirth to you? Or do you think it was more likely sperm from the male breeding her again?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Great news! I thought there was some sort of discharge from females at birth other than the baby pups. This was my first successful breeding experience. There was a lot of this white discharge floating around and it was coming out of her so he must have done the deed just before I noticed that.

Back to the Poo. This can't be healthy her eating all of this poo. Any advise? Or should I just let it ride and accept that my Leo loves dookie?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
My female makes a cloud in the tank with her afterbirth shortly after spitting pups but the white fuzz sounds like your dude's dudes

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
diet is tilapia, shrimp, smelt as the staple. Earthworms and massivore regularly rotated in.

pups and smaller rays get live blackworms and ghost shrimp.

I seriously have not seen a poop with my adult rays in probably a month now. It almost makes me want to feed them some epsom soaked massivore just to see them poo and in case they have IP's. They're all captive bred so I seriously doubt IP's.

Hey AllGood, I noticed the water was a little cloudy after she gave birth but there were no actual particles. Just about 48 hours later when I noticed white cloudy fuzz floating around and then saw it was coming out of her. I assumed it was an "afterbirth" of some sort. But it makes sense that the male tagged her. He was trying desperately when she was preggo but she's much larger and kept biting him back and stinging him. I'm hoping she just gave in after she had the pups.

Have any of you noticed white fuzz in the water after females giving birth?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
My second post should read I haven't seen my BdLeo male breed her again yet. Sorry about that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store