Can anyone tell what type of paratilapia I have?

CHUNKLES

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2013
Canada
I got them from a LFS. They came in all different sizes and were labelled as wild caught. The group they had were ranging in size from 3"-7" and all came in at the same time so I figure that the odds of them being wild caught are pretty good considering the wide range in sizes they came in at. I can ask but I doubt they will be able to tell me the exact collection point.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The chances of them being WC are pretty much zero, plenty of paratilapia are raised in ponds south of the border, which is most likely what you have.

CHUNKLES

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2013
Canada
Oh well....I'm not too experienced with cichlids. I got into cichlids to try something different, I'm not used to keeping fish that breed so easily in captivity like cichlids. The fish I keep pretty much don't breed in captivity except for two or three species if that and under very certain circumstances.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
i think the lfs bs too. Can we sue them for lying if they always repeat ?

Dam yo that is a nice Polleni :drool:

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
I dont think it's polleni if its still small though. Because my polleni is 8" and he got alllllll very tiny sharp twinkles. So small that it cant be any smaller. I think that would be true polleni....

I'll say this one might be bleeker after comparing with my polleni fish. Or bllekerixpolleni

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
I dont think it's polleni if its still small though. Because my polleni is 8" and he got alllllll very tiny sharp twinkles. So small that it cant be any smaller. I think that would be true polleni....

I'll say this one might be bleeker after comparing with my polleni fish. Or bllekerixpolleni
There are over 9 different Paratilapia species. Polleni is a large spot Paratilapia and bleekeri has never been commercially available- see BB Dr Loiselle describes quite well the confusion. The source of this fish is unlikely to be from the wild, at first look, it looks more like Paratilapia fony.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store