Foam under tank

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
I built a stand for my 8 x 2 x 2 acrylic aquarium and made as absolutely as level as I could. My floor is completely not level so I adjusted in making modifications in my stand build.

My question is I bought a piece of 3/4 inch foam to use as a buffer and was wondering if I should sandwich that between to pieces of plywood (which are also 3/4) or set the styrofoam on the plywood and then the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I've always gone stand - styro - tank. Sitting the tank directly on the styro allows it to settle evenly in place & also serves as a heat insulator.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I've never used Styrofoam on any tank. If your stand is level and the top is clean, then there should be no reason to use it.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Foam will not level out ur tank...only acrylic tank ive ever had a problem with sat on foam and it caused a leak on the bottom panel. This is a big misconception for acrylic tanks. The practice is used for glass tanks with no trim or plate glass bottom. Acrylic tanks should be placed right on the wood base and leved with shims to make it perfect. Some manufactures glue a piece of 3/4" wood directly to the bottom of acrylic aquariums to ensure they can be leveled correctly on the stand. Foam is very fragile, the corners can be damaged making the tank unlevel down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't know of a single acrylic tank maker that gives a warranty if it is not on a full sheet of plywood. Most also tell you a thin sheet of foam. If an acrylic tank isn't on a fully supported flat surface it will bow and rupture.

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
Thank you all very much for your opinions. The tank is not brand new so there is no warranty so I think I might use the styrofoam between the two sheets of plywood. That way the tank is still on plywood and I have my styrofoam as a buffer. Whatever I do I will post pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
I always use a piece of commercial grade carpet. It's short and makes up for any minor imperfections in the stand. Best of all it's easy to slide the tank into place if you glue the carpet to the stand.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
How much out of level are we talking about? If I read your post correctly, you built a stand not level to sit on a not level area of floor. Why not just built the stand level and shim the stand? The tile floor where my tank is isn't perfectly level either. Probably 1/8-1/4 over 6' I always just shim the stand with no problems going on 7 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store