125g Oddball communityl stocking help

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
I am picking up a RR 125 tomorrow 72x18x24 and want to make it an oddball community. I have a super red severum that I want to include even though he is not an oddball. I would like a black ghost knife but beyond that I have no idea what would work/what is neat (subjective). Post any possible combinations I was thinking maybe some type of bichirs (never had one before) but have no idea what else. Thanks! I have a 75 with a solo midas so I want to do a community but not in the general sense.
+

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Most of the upper jaw species of the bichirs will do and look nicely in an oddball community depending on the stock and their sizes, but by what you've listed sizes shouldn't be a problem if the severum is big enough. How big is the severum?

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
Most of the upper jaw species of the bichirs will do and look nicely in an oddball community depending on the stock and their sizes, but by what you've listed sizes shouldn't be a problem if the severum is big enough. How big is the severum?
He's around 5" or so right now.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
He's around 5" or so right now.

you could probably buy some baby bichirs and grow them out together I would recommend palmas palmas (personal favorite), palmas polli, palmas buettikoferi, retropinnis, senegalus (stay small and are very active and personable), mokelembembe (probably not the best choice because of the rarity, but if you find one I'd get it), and delhezi. If I were you I'd try and get them around the 4"-7" range so that you don't have to worry about the severum eating them because they are so small or them eating the severum. They are very cool fish if you just want to get a simple one you can probably go to petsmart and buy some senegalus while they are the most plain pattern-wise they are very active and a great beginner bichir.

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
If I go for a black ghost knife what is a safe amount of polys? Are catfish an option then with bgk's and polys or are they out. What about a parrot with my severum what else would fill out the other levels.

adr_93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
coral springs, florida
For catfish you could add a lima shovelnose or a armored catfish. I have both in a 75 grow out along with a black ghost knife, some bichirs and a red severum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store