Good wood?

Heyguy74

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Jackson, NJ
It depends on the species. Take a picture of the backyard. The leaves will help ID it. Dead ones will work. Are they mostly pines or other type of woods? Try to stay away from pine trees. It must be weathered. Meaning it should dead and exposed to the elements for a few months at least. It should be dried out, not green inside. A good sign is the bark is starting to fall off or is off completely. It should come off easily as well if its not off. I have oak trees I my yard and use them al the time

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
It depends on the species. Take a picture of the backyard. The leaves will help ID it. Dead ones will work. Are they mostly pines or other type of woods? Try to stay away from pine trees. It must be weathered. Meaning it should dead and exposed to the elements for a few months at least. It should be dried out, not green inside. A good sign is the bark is starting to fall off or is off completely. It should come off easily as well if its not off. I have oak trees I my yard and use them al the time
I'm not sure. I guess pine and the bark is falling off

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
kind of looks like a cotton wood, perhaps maple. i would soak it alone for some time and treat with bleach before putting in a tank. pine has allot of tar in it, (sap) not something i would want to put in my tank.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
If it's pine, steer clear(that looks like pine). Sap is not good for the tank. Look for hard work like ash or oak. Other wood that can work is some fruit tree branches. I have a cherry tree in my yard and I'll snap fresh branches off from time to time and put them in my plecos tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store