Placing Heaters Horizontally..

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
does anyone place their heaters horizontally on your sump or tank bottom?? i have 3 Jargars 300 watt heaters place on the bottom of the sump.. i only brought these heaters in june of 2013 and it's only used it 1 winter.. i had to replace 2 of them already and i know most of people here VOUCH for these heaters all the time.. so anyone have this problem and how to correct it?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I place some heaters horizontally in my sumps, some diagonally in tanks.
I find diagonal or horizontal, they equally go bad about the same rate, unless the ones in the sump become emerged, then they go bad fast.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
All of mine are horizontal. All of them in sumps are on the bottom. I don't think any heaters are all that great. I quit using glass heaters. They all seem to get some moisture in them within a year. With titanium heaters, not only are they break proof, I can fool myself since I can't see moisture getting in them.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Same, most of mine have been installed horizontally.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
All my heaters are horizontally except the one in my five gallon I never had a problem.
Same here I've placed them in the bottom of the sump as well as low in the tank.It gives me piece of mind when I do water changes.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I place mine horizontally as well. I've had to replace a couple 300watt Jaegers recently too. I've read on other forums that people think their quality has started to slip. I have had better luck w/ Aequon heaters and I'm slowly going all Aequon as my Jaegers burn out.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Well I know that a lot of heaters say not to do this....

I have done it in the past, but generally I go for vertical/horizontal. I have noticed that in some tanks (particularly those with floating plants) the temperature will stratify to a degree. So by having the heater horizontal, you may only be reading the temperature at a given depth. I think that by keeping it vertical you will get a better average for your temperature reading and won't say, cook the bettas living in your floating plants for instance.

But with enough flow through the surface and all over your tank the temperature difference will be negligible.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
it's very odd to see them get condensation that fast.. i have uses all different kinds of heaters and i usually have my heaters placed in the tank either 10degree up or about 60 degrees up.. never have any problem.. this batch of (total 3) 300 watt jargars i'm having this problem.. i have all 3 controlled by a ranco temp controller but at the end of the ranco i have attached a power strip so i guess when the moisture was too much in the heater the power strip trips so i would lose heating for the tank.. i'm wondering if i should take out the power strip that the heater is plugged into and just come out of the controller with a heavy duty 3 way plug???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store