faces turning white..

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
so i bought some emperor tetras. ive lost 2 in about 24 hours. i noticed before they died their faces turned bone-white and their gills turned really red. The white doesn't appear to be external either, like a fungus. It looks like they're turning white. i checked my ammonia it was at 0. i did a 50% change anyways.... i have 3 left and the color on one of them appears to be washing out. any ideas on what is going with them?

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
its better if you take a picture we can see clearly what happen because its really to tell you whats wrong without pictures.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
i know but the faces of the others hasnt turned white...yet.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
There are a couple of possibilites that cause this. I'd like to start by asking you to post water parameters and we can go from there.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
There are a couple of possibilites that cause this. I'd like to start by asking you to post water parameters and we can go from there.
Ammonia and nitrite are zero. I didn't test nitrates. It should be low though. Tank is planted and i change about 50% weekly. Temp is around 78.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Have you noticed any erractic swimming? This could be neon tetra disease or fungal but there is really no way to tell for sure. NTD is almost impossibile to cure while a fungus is not. The speed with which the symptoms appear and the fish die suggest this could also be coulminars. I ould euthinize these fish to be on the safe side. Do a very large water change vacume the substraight and rinse the filter media. Is there any other fish in the tank?

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Have you noticed any erractic swimming? This could be neon tetra disease or fungal but there is really no way to tell for sure. NTD is almost impossibile to cure while a fungus is not. The speed with which the symptoms appear and the fish die suggest this could also be coulminars. I ould euthinize these fish to be on the safe side. Do a very large water change vacume the substraight and rinse the filter media. Is there any other fish in the tank?
I thought columnaris at first too but I've seen columnaris and it doesn't look it. I did do a big change and salted the tank though. The two remains seem to be doing alright. Their swimming seemed normal to me. There is another fish in there. He seems to be doing alright. No visible oddities.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try treating with funguas guard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com