filter media for fluval 305

adr_93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
coral springs, florida
I recently got a 75gal tank that came with the canister but without the hoses or media inside. I made sure it worked and I bought the hoses but im not sure as to what kind of media is best

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
That's a GREAT old school filter! Did you get the baskets? The round foam pads are only available on Ebay, or you can cut you own. You can also use ceramic rings, carbon, etc. I live near you and 've already scoured the area. You will also need water in-line shut off valves from Home depot (plastic) or when you try to clean the filter, you'll syphon all of your water out of the tank.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
That's a GREAT old school filter! Did you get the baskets? The round foam pads are only available on Ebay, or you can cut you own. You can also use ceramic rings, carbon, etc. I live near you and 've already scoured the area. (Sunrise) You will also need water in-line shut off valves from Home depot (plastic) or when you try to clean the filter, you'll syphon all of your water out of the tank.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
You will also need water in-line shut off valves from Home depot (plastic) or when you try to clean the filter, you'll syphon all of your water out of the tank.
There's no need for water shut off valves. IF you have the top connector that the hoses connect to its called an Aquastop and serves this function.

As far as media, I would run fluval pre filter ceramic media in the bottom basket, Seachem matrix or comparable bio filter media in the second basket and then carbon/ any chemical in the top basket with a fine filter floss or felt on top of it to finish off the system. You should also have course filter foam installed in the first large double sided bracket.

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
MY BAD. I'm thinking the Fluval 303!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store