Help! my bass has a "white eye"

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I just looked at my smallmouth bass and he has a white eye with a thin red ring around it and the pupil being light blue-grey. He just developed it And I'm worried about the fish since it would not eat yesterday and will not today. what should I do? It is only on one eye. Also I have a bullhead catfish in the tank, so what do I do for the medication since I've heard that catfish are sensitive to meds, and bass are sensitive to certain types of meds.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Can you post a picture? Is the eye swollen or does it just have a white film over it? Also please post your water parameters ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and Ph this would be helpful.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I can try to get a picture, but it will be hard since my camera is broken and I would need to use someone's working camera. I know the PH is about 6, but I'm trying to raise it. I also find It wierd that this happened only to the bass and It happened a day after I changed my filter. I do not know how to describe it, but I would say a white film over it, and a white worm-like thing on the eye. Also, to treat him, I would need to probably need to use one of my 20 gallons since it is also a planted aquariums. He is 4in right now. I will post when I figure out more.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If you see a worm in the eye it is an eye fluke and can be treated with Prazi. Also the white film can be caused by the ph being too low. You can treat this in a planted tank. Did you test your water? When you said you changed the filter did you use aged media or start with new media? Test the water for any ammonia which could also cause the white film on the eye. If the filter is brand new you could be going through a mini-cycle. Test the water and let us know what the results are. Either way the Prazi will still get the eye fluke.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
the filter has been used for 3yrs on the 45 gallon, and this is its first tank. The PH was 6 or lower since my test kit only goes to 6.0. How often should I raise the PH with an aquarium? Also, the medicine will not hurt the catfish or the hornwort at full dose? I am going to get the test kit today. How can I get the bass to eat so he will not starve since this his 3rd day without eating? Thanks for all of the help you gave me. I will update anything that goes on.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Bass will not starve 3 days is nothing. Prazi will not hurt plants or catfish it's very safe.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
The eye now has no white film on it, but now looks slightly swollen, and I think still has the small eye fluke. Any reason the eye would be swollen? Also It is now out in the front again, just scared slightly.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The eye is going to get swollen as the fluke grows until the eye is distroyed. Use Prazi to kill the fluke.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
how long does it take for the fluke to go away? It is because I might get a new fish on Friday and I do not want the fluke to spread/ cause to harm the new fish.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It depends I would say a week +/- of treatment should do it. You have to monitor the eye, the sooner you catch it and start treatment the better chances of a full recovery of the eye.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store