Feeding native fish fillets to tropical fish?

thohman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2014
Michigan
I live in Michigan and am an avid fisherman, while I mostly catch and release, I was wondering if I caught some bluegill and cleaned them, cut fillets into pieces that my Exodons could eat in a timely manner, froze the pieces before feeding and using them as a weekly treat.
Would that open up my fish to native diseases, or would something terrible happen to my fish? I know I can use talapia, but if I'm already fishing might as well kill two birds with one stone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
if you are sure that the place you collect them from is safe, and if you freeze them, I would.

normally, native fish ( i mean the ones we get here, trouts, etc ) are very high in fat and leave traces of it in the tank...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
if you are sure that the place you collect them from is safe, and if you freeze them, I would.

normally, native fish ( i mean the ones we get here, trouts, etc ) are very high in fat and leave traces of it in the tank...
Only trout, salmon and catfish will leave traces of the fat in the tank. But you should be fine if the fillets came from Centrarchids (bass, sunfish, crappie), esocids (pikes, pickerel), percids (walleyes, perch) etc...

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
bluegill would be perfect for fish food, its just too good to give to them, I'll take those fillets off your hands. Seriously, freeze and feed to them after thawed. I've thought about doing it too but I think my wife would kill me, she loves gills too much

thohman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2014
Michigan
Thanks for the responses! A buddy of mine and I fish and only really eat Perch, and if we don't have enough for both families we keep some Bluegills. I don't like keeping Bass so I just figured Bluegill would be a good choice. A few would last a while I would think. Maybe I can try my hand at the ol' Y bone in the pike and if I mess up it can be fish food... :)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Thanks for the responses! A buddy of mine and I fish and only really eat Perch, and if we don't have enough for both families we keep some Bluegills. I don't like keeping Bass so I just figured Bluegill would be a good choice. A few would last a while I would think. Maybe I can try my hand at the ol' Y bone in the pike and if I mess up it can be fish food... :)

Cut up Y-bone strips into small pieces and they are ready for the fish. I always don't discarded Y-bone strips as I froze them for future feedings and I fed them to the catfishes I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store