Tropheus w/MBU

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I've been thinking of how to setup the 265 with the MBU.

MBU w/Frontosa's
MBU w/assorted common African's
MBU w/Tropheus

I really like the Tropheus idea, but I know they can't have protein or very little. So looking for someone with experience with Tropheus. Basically I hand feed my MBU 3-5 pieces of shrimp. I know that small particles of shrimp will fall to the bottom where the Tropheus are. So how much is to much for these guys? There is a LFS with a tank full of Tropheus and I'd like to take them all to have a large colony in the 265.

This site says they can have some protein

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/starting_with_tropheus.php

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
That would look great, but not sure it would work, the Tropheus may be to rowdy for your MBU. Most are anti protein when it comes to Tropheus , I have also heard of people that would occasionally feed brine shrimp. I never have, my are fed NLS every other day and green flake on the odd days, and have done great.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Agreed, I would not do it with Tropheus. I think the Tropheus zipping and poking around would throw your Mbu off, as would most "assorted Africans", and for me a primary benefit of tank mates for Mbu is essentially to act as a clean up crew in addition to eye candy, which obviously is not a good idea if meat-based food is an issue for that crew. I think the idea of Frontosa is good and I would also suggest considering Synos down low and Cyps up top. For me, I am making a move to Congo tetras rather than cichlids at all with my Mbu...just too much breeding going on for my liking.

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Hmmmm.... I also thought about Calvus\Comps as well.

I think I'd rather have a school of small fish, I want to stay African, something that lives with the MBU in the wild. I would like to have all the same species, if possible only males unless the females look as good as the males usually do.

Congo Tetra's sound good as well, but also want something that will stay close to the rocks.

Buffalo Heads look neat too. I like Neo's as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store