Teacup ray advice/care

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
So I'm looking to get a teacup stingray to put in my new 135g. I'm completely new to rays, but not new to fish keeping or big fish. (I know I'll need a bigger tank, but I also know I'll have some time till I get there.) So I have a couple quick questions:

1. Are they legal to OWN in GA? I know they're illegal to sell.

2. What is a good link to teacup ray care? Can't seem to find one. :/

3. Any other information I should know?

Thanks in advance.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
As careifsteck said, not legal. Check out the Restricted Species Lists in the sticky topics of the Marketplace forum for your state's list.
Not legal

Sent from my SCH-R970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Solves my problem. Thanks. I'll still check out the info, but I guess it'll have to wait. :(

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
The Stickie have alot of good info, and this was also alot of help for me: http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/potamotrygon-orbignyi/
Seriouslyfish is wrong about the max size, and tank size. When you say "Teacup ray" im guessing you'r talking about the Orbignyi, also called Reticulatus.
actually, orbs and retics are not the same morphs. orbs can reach up to 36" wide, whereas retics generally max out around 12-14". you'll spot the difference between the two most commonly by the orb's "eyebrows".

while they look similar, infact they are separate.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
actually, orbs and retics are not the same morphs. orbs can reach up to 36" wide, whereas retics generally max out around 12-14". you'll spot the difference between the two most commonly by the orb's "eyebrows".

while they look similar, infact they are separate.
Didnt know that, thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store