Rutilus rutilus fillets for cichlids?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
How would Rutilus rutilus fillets, be as food for cichlids?
Does it have alot of fat? I've heard that freezing the fish in 24hours, or something like that kills all the parasites, and stuff like that, is that true?
I can catch alot of these easily and i just though that it would possibly make good food for my Frontosa Burundi, and Synodontis Catfish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They're good, just don't feed to often because of thiaminase.
But yet the predatory fishes regularly consumed these fishes in the wild.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
But yet the predatory fishes regularly consumed these fishes in the wild.
That's what I always say, too, but neither frontosa nor synodontis are predatory fish, so they can't handle it as well as the roach's native predators (Esox Lucius).

@karl: I don't know how often you feed, but try to alternate feedings between the roach and other types of food. (Eg. Pellets on monday, roach on wednesday, etc.) :)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
That's what I always say, too, but neither frontosa nor synodontis are predatory fish, so they can't handle it as well as the roach's native predators (Esox Lucius).

@karl: I don't know how often you feed, but try to alternate feedings between the roach and other types of food. (Eg. Pellets on monday, roach on wednesday, etc.) :)
Normaly i feed everyother day, but my Frontose Burundi has gone trough some health issues, so im trying to get her to gain some weight, with no succes, so that was why i wanted to try this.
So Rutilus rutilus fillets twice a weeks, or every other day would be ok? Does 24hours in the freezer kill parasites, and other things like that?
Maybe it wouldnt be such a good idea feeding this, when it has been trough some health issues and is skinny, with the thiaminase and all?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If I am not mistaken but nearly of all forage fishes are full of thiaminase.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
In temperate and cooler environs. If the OP was feeding a temperate predator, these would be fine.
Technically, the forage fish, no matter what the environment they are in, carrying thiaminase. Thiaminase have found in all catfish species, cyprinids (included tropical species), shads, herrings, some Poecilid species, catostomidae (suckers), smelts etc...

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Technically, the forage fish, no matter what the environment they are in, carrying thiaminase. Thiaminase have found in all catfish species, cyprinids (included tropical species), shads, herrings, some Poecilid species, catostomidae (suckers), smelts etc...
My point was that if you're feeding thiaminase containing fish to fish that are adapted to feed upon them, then its fine. One must consider the diet of the predator before having an aneurism about whether or not you can feed it a thiaminase containing prey item.

And MOST tropical predators (in the hobby anyway) don't feed on thiamine containing fish. South American and African fish, which we all know comprise the bulk of tropical aquarium fish, have cichlids and characins as primary forage fish. Neither of which [normally, I have to caveat that because I can't guarantee that ALL, don't] contain thiaminase.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store