MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
hi all,
i house the following fish in a 180cmx60cmx60cm tank:
2 x 6" leo pair
2 x 15" ornate bichirs
2 x sub-adult red severums
i run an FX5 in the tank; the parameters are checked regularly & i try to keep it @ optimum... 25-30% water changes are carried out 1s a week

the last time i got myself a leo was over 8yrs ago (love @ 1st sight, impulse purchase) wen i didnt have the time to really "care for" the fish! i just had a good capacity eheim canister running in my old 180xsomethingxsomething tank, & carried out water changes 1s a month or so!!! he was with me for about 4yrs till i gave him away coz i had to relocate! i always remember him as an active playful fellow considering i couldnt pay much attention to his needs.

i have always had some kinda large fish ever since, but never a ray, up until i got my 2 new leos last month!!! now that i feel i am a more responsible hobbyist, i was wondering what kinda water change regimen the rest of you follow to maintain good water quality!!!
do you just go ahead & change the water as scheduled or do you carry out water tests to decide whether its time for a water change???
are there any other parameters besides Ph, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate that need to be checked to ensure my rays stay healthy considering the available filtration system???
i feed market-prawns & hikari carni pellets in the morning & blood worms in the evening
considering that a chilli red aro is on order & maybe even a 7" schroederi, do i need to add another FX5 or will the existing system suffice???

ur inputs would b highly appreciated

cheers

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Long term your tank is to small for the Leo
You should be ok for a few months

The less water you have the more water changes you need to do

As your Leo are still small they will eat a lot and grow very fast meaning lots of water changes

I would say 2 water changes of 25% per week

I'm not a great lover of big water changes over 35% in one go which is why I say 2 per week of 25-35%

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
Tnx T1KARMANN

But, Ok for a few months??? R u kiddin me??? :eek: r u saying this considering I will b getting the schroederi???

Would adding 1 more FX5 b of any help???

I will continue with the 25% WC.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Tnx T1KARMANN

But, Ok for a few months??? R u kiddin me??? :eek: r u saying this considering I will b getting the schroederi???

Would adding 1 more FX5 b of any help???

I will continue with the 25% WC.

What are the dimensions of the tank

I don't like fx5 as they don't home much bio media they are just like one giant sponge filter
Eheim 2262 or 2080 are much better filters and yes you need another filter

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
i have several fx5 they hold lots of bio media imo.

sorry t1 but thats one of the reasons why i use them. im not saying you need more or less filtration but i think fx5 are quite good ( t1 is a eheim guy though ) .

you can get lots of biomedia filtration using other (possibly DIY) methods if you need additional help though.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i have several fx5 they hold lots of bio media imo.

sorry t1 but thats one of the reasons why i use them. im not saying you need more or less filtration but i think fx5 are quite good ( t1 is a eheim guy though ) .

you can get lots of biomedia filtration using other (possibly DIY) methods if you need additional help though.
Any filter that needs mods out of the box can't be that good

They clog up super fast compared to other filter

They are not as popular in the UK as they are in the US mainly because fx5 is cheap and eheim are expensive in the US
If the price was the same more people would give eheim ago

With any big tank sump is the only way to go

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
What are the dimensions of the tank

I don't like fx5 as they don't home much bio media they are just like one giant sponge filter
Eheim 2262 or 2080 are much better filters and yes you need another filter

The tank is 6x2x2 feet

This is my 1st fluval, & it was highly recommended by my LFS who also happens to b the local distributor for Eheim, so it's kinda early for me to give a review on it.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK

The tank is 6x2x2 feet

This is my 1st fluval, & it was highly recommended by my LFS who also happens to b the local distributor for Eheim, so it's kinda early for me to give a review on it.

A 6x2x2 tank won't last long at all 1year will be pushing it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store