Solar panels

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses solar panels to cut the electrical bill for keeping the hobby we love. I have a 150 and a 225 with
big filters, uv and all the other stuff that keeps my fish healthy and my tank clean. My last electric bill was close to $700 and I can't afford this but don't want to get rid of my fish. Anyone who has done this or has opinions on this is greatly appreciated.

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
Someone else asked this and it comes down to if your willing to pay the huge upfront cost it can def b worth it. the initial cost can be very expensive and take a few months for you to see any kick back from it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Actually not that expensive... I spoke to a couple of companies and what they do is keep the federal and local tax abatements and let you finance what ever the remaining amount is over a 10, or 15 year period

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
Thanks for the replies! I''ve had a 125 and a 55 a while ago and I don't remember my bill being anything outrageous. I'm definitely going to do something, and if I do,, I'll post the info on here. What I'm really surprised is the people who keep tanks bigger than mine, being able to afford just to run them. More power to them

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
700??? What is it without fish? My 100 tank literally adds $7 / month to my bill (I put a meter on it and tracked it, that is a very accurate number).

solar panels in general are still not a mature enough technology for me to want to buy them. They are going up in efficiency and down in price every year though, hopefully in the next 5-10 years they will be worth it.

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
Both tanks have (2) 300 watt heaters and one has (2) xp4s and the other a big Eihem, and both have UV, 25 on one and 36 on the other. I'm not sure if PG&E (my electric and gas supplier) is screwing me but I went from $250-$350 a month to a little over $700. My wife ripped me a new one to put it lightly.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Go buy a "kill a watt" meter to find out where you are losing energy. If it is mostly the heaters i recommend insulating better. Put foam on the back, bottom, sides if they aren't visible will hold in a lot of energy. Also cover it tightly, tons of heat goes away due to evaporation on the surface. No reason it should cost you that much. Also if your fish can handle it dropping the temperature even a degree or two makes a huge difference.

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
You could have a bad ground on your electrical service somewhere. That would make you bill spike but if you do you will need an electrician to find it and fix it.

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
You could have a bad ground on your electrical service somewhere. That would make you bill spike but if you do you will need an electrician to find it and fix it.

+1, no way your 2 tanks can cost $350 in electric a month. Hell $350 prior to them is a lot, turn your lights off once in awhile :ROFL:

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I feel the same about not ready to buy panels ...just too early for them. Just kills me how we have rovers on other planets that last for years and we are still using gas and paying for electric... part of me feels that the powers that be I do not want solar panels to succeed. Too much money lossed if they ever took off

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store