Tigrinus, Juruense or neither?

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Long story short, I'm setting up a standard 240 (96x24x25) as a grow out for an Acanthicus adonis. The tank will have excellent flow and aeration, coupled with 50-75% weekly water changes to keep nitrates well below 5ppm.

I have been considering (though am by no means "locked in") getting either a juvenile tigrinus or juruense to grow out with my adonis. My main points of concern are whether or not either species would nip at the adonis' trailers, and the amount of time either of those species would be comfortable in the tank before upgrading. I won't be able to upgrade for ~3 years, which is plenty of time for the adonis, and when I upgrade it'll be to at least a 9x5x30" plywood build.

So what are all of your folks thoughts? Would either of those species be trailer nippers, and/or would they outgrow my current system in my allotted time frame?

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Come on guys, someone has to have at least some kind of feedback!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK much about the adonis. I'd not expect a tig/jur mess with their extensions but I'd not bet on it because of poor knowledge. As for the tank size, by my book when the tig/jur hits a foot, it'll be the time to upgrade. It usually occurs within one year, not 3.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Thanks for the reply! At this point in time I'm mainly looking for relevant (to me) information regarding the behavioral and growth tendencies for both species. At what respective size do both species growth rates steadily begin to decrease? I know that once the adonis hits the 10-12" mark there is a noticeable, and quite drastic change in growth pattern. Is it similar with the jur and tig, or would it be closer to the 18-20" mark?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IME similar, ~1' for both jurs and tigs, from 1" a month to 0.3"-0.5" a month.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
That might work out well then. If it hit's the 12" mark within a year and the growth slows to say 0.5" per month (which I would assume is the upper end of the monthly growth rate, once they start putting forth the majority of caloric consumption towards gonadal development as opposed to standard linear growth), it should take a minimum of 3 years for it to reach 24".

I understand that there are a vast amount of variables in both water parameters and individual genetics, but if your experiences are "typical", that bodes well for my future upgrading plan. I would put the upgrade "on the front burner" once the specimen hit the 18-20" mark. Again, this is all food for thought, as I am yet to decide if one of these are a species I am going to add to my collection. Terrific conversation though; keep it coming everyone!

What kind of growth rates have you fellow tig/jur keepers experienced with your animals? Is 0.3"-0.5" per month average, above average, or below average after the 12" mark?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store