The one that got away

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Is there ever a fish you wish you had bought and it keeps haunting you? If so what was it?

About 4 years ago I was on vacation and we were on our way home and we stopped for lunch and there was a fish shop in the same plaza. I took a look and they had a 3" Texas that must have been escondido because it already had adult colors and was the most beautiful blues I have ever seen. Even the fins had the spots, it looked like a salt water fish. I didn't know anything about texas cichlids at the time. Till this day I have been looking for one that looked like that. you can probably guess my search has returned null.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't recall ever seeing this thread topic pitched before,good idea and it deserves to be in general aquaria....Mine was when buddy was just getting me into the hobby and took me to what became my favorite shop in this city.I spotted a huge and somewhat unstable datnoid in a tank priced at fifty bucks.That was a huge sum of money to me to spend on a mere fish back in the early nineties and I didn't know one dat from another.I think back now and,knowing what I now know I realize that that huge dat was in fact a ST Widebar pulcher for the outrageous price of fifty bucks!

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Is there ever a fish you wish you had bought and it keeps haunting you? If so what was it?

About 4 years ago I was on vacation and we were on our way home and we stopped for lunch and there was a fish shop in the same plaza. I took a look and they had a 3" Texas that must have been escondido because it already had adult colors and was the most beautiful blues I have ever seen. Even the fins had the spots, it looked like a salt water fish. I didn't know anything about texas cichlids at the time. Till this day I have been looking for one that looked like that. you can probably guess my search has returned null.
It was also a Texas for me, but it was a Red Texas. Gorgeous!!

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I don't recall ever seeing this thread topic pitched before,good idea and it deserves to be in general aquaria....Mine was when buddy was just getting me into the hobby and took me to what became my favorite shop in this city.I spotted a huge and somewhat unstable datnoid in a tank priced at fifty bucks.That was a huge sum of money to me to spend on a mere fish back in the early nineties and I didn't know one dat from another.I think back now and,knowing what I now know I realize that that huge dat was in fact a ST Widebar pulcher for the outrageous price of fifty bucks!

Thanks you.

There are so many times I say if I knew then what I knew now. I would have dated the girl that was a tomboy, who told me she loved me and is now a model.

But on a fish related note. I passed up a gold saum green terror where the whole tail and fins where yellow and orange not just an outline. The guy that ran the shop tried to tell me that it was rare. My response was "but it only has color in the tail" the african ciclids are all color" Ugh

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
This is in the lounge. It can be whatever!!

I dated a girl that was kinda alright in highschool. Not too interesting though and I was heading off to college so I ended it. Anyhow 10 years later she is a fitness instructor and bikini model. I wish I could post a then and now picture for you guys but I feel that would be morally wrong...

As far as fish? Idk. Lots I wish I had but nothing really comes to mind about not buying one in a store.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
This is in the lounge. It can be whatever!!

I dated a girl that was kinda alright in highschool. Not too interesting though and I was heading off to college so I ended it. Anyhow 10 years later she is a fitness instructor and bikini model. I wish I could post a then and now picture for you guys but I feel that would be morally wrong...

As far as fish? Idk. Lots I wish I had but nothing really comes to mind about not buying one in a store.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wow, that sucks for you bro. would you send me pics in a pm?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store