Sigh. I tried to stop her

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
So my aunt in law told me she wanted to have an aquarium with coral. I got really excited at the prospect of helping her too! So I started talking to her about how she was going to cycle and set it all up etc and she said she was just going to throw in the saltwater and rocks and coral frags and let it go because "it's all from the ocean so it'll be fine". I tried to explain cycling and she wanted nothing of it.

A week later everything is dead.

Obviously.

Not sure what her plans are now, she isn't talking to me.

And I'll highlight the "in law" part now. No blood relation.

Sigh. Makes me sad. I tried!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I no longer encourage people to take up the hobby. I now make it seem somewhat harder than it actually is to discourage folks with an attitude similar to your "in-law".
I will help folks that seem to be making a sincere effort if they have already started a setup. I am much quicker to walk away from those who decide to go their own way and against my advice.

LSUFireGal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2014
Houston, TX
Yeah, I am shocked by people who basically tell me it CAN'T be as complicated as I am making it seem when I explain the steps to get started. My nephew's other grandmother wanted me to help her start a small biocube for him at her house. She wanted to get a nemo and a dory for a 14g biocube. I explained that "Dory" needs at least 100g tank and most people say more. She insisted she could get a small one and then put it in my tank when it got too big. I said no, I already have 2 "Dorys" and that they do not like to coexist and I was lucky the 2 I have get along. I have a feeling this is going to suck.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
People are just so stubborn. The guy who setup the 55 FW at my school has never once in the three years it's been setup done a water change and there are only 5 or 6 out if the 20 fish there were in it at the beginning of the year. I keep telling him "if you can't take care of it let me help you break it down, I'll even do all the work but you're torturing these fish". His response.... "They're fish, they die all the time, who cares!". :swear:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store