Unlevel Acrylic Tank- Crazing

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
hello MFK I could really use some advice.

I have an 8x3x2.5 acrylic tank that is around 2 years old. I've noticed some crazing on the front of the tank on the outer edges, I've kept an eye on it and it is slowly spreading. The seams don't have any crazing in them but there are a few tiny bubbles near the interior seams joint. 90% of the seams are free from the tiny bubbles. There appears to be more seam bubbles on the front of the tank where the crazing is versus the rear of the tank. I don't see any crazing on the rear of the tank, only on the front panel and on the side panels near the front of the tank.

I did some reading and read that if my tank is unlevel it could cause this. I've taken a level and sure enough the back/rear of the tank is lower than the front of the tank, the level bubble is touching the black line towards the front of the tank. I'm planning on draining the whole thing, undoing the plumbing and trying to shim the rear of the stand. The stand is welded steel. It has 8, 2" legs that come down to a 2" steel perimeter beam.

The tank also sits on foam on top of wood. I'm reading that the foam may be bad for the acrylic tank also and could be a part of the problem. I'm thinking about removing it when I attempt to level the stand.

The tank has been running for around 4 months now. No leaks or issues other than the crazing and I really want to keep it this way.

Questions: I'm hoping Pharoah and some of you vets can help advise me

20140409_185736.jpg20140409_185629.jpg20140409_185716.jpg

How urgent is it that I level this stand quickly? Is the crazing a sign of imminent doom? Should I be freaking out right now? I am heading to my other home for a week tomorrow, can this wait until I return? It's been setup in this location for around 4 months now.

What kind of shims should I use under the rear steel beam that won't compress or crush under the extreme weight of the tank, stand and water?

Should I remove the foam from under the tank and put the tank straight down on the plywood between the tank and stand?

Should I consider putting a bead of Weld-40 to the interior perimeter of the tank to strengthen the possibly weakened seams?

Any advise or stories are welcomed. I thank you in advance. Posting some pictures now.

20140409_185736.jpg

20140409_185629.jpg

20140409_185716.jpg

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Sorry not sure how the pictures got rotated. The last picure shows the bubbling in the seams. Is that normal? All of the seams have it but slightly more on the front of the tank near the crazing.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Whats the problem lol? Looks in alot better condition by far than the tanks im usually repairing. Are these the bottom seams or uprights? Tank looks pretty new imo. Foam is bad for acrylic tanks imo but others say different just the same. I think the biggest thing is keeping it level with shims wherever needed regardless of whats under it. Foam can break down, crush in or distort over time. Wood can get wet and do just the same. Id shim the tank in the back where ur saying if necessary and call it a day. Any air gaps between the tank and stand can be filled with shims. No stands are 100% level without shims. Most acrylic tanks are a bit off also.

What you see in the second picture is caused from the material bowing. Its under alot of pressure and is normal, not detrimental to the tank imo. Most all my tanks that bow alot have those crazing marks. Seam seperation turns white where the seams are clear. Those bubbles look to be there from when the tank was built.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Sorry not sure how the pictures got rotated. The last picure shows the bubbling in the seams. Is that normal? All of the seams have it but slightly more on the front of the tank near the crazing.
Bubbles don't really interfere with the structural integrity unless its nearly all bubbles lol. Sketched me out too but acrylic is very flexible in terms of not having perfect seams and bowing out is perfectly normal which I could never allow in my house!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
uploadfromtaptalk1397101347472.jpg
Seam seperation above, crazing below
uploadfromtaptalk1397101378976.jpg

seam seperation is what is bad...crazing is just the material showing stress over time

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Bubbles don't really interfere with the structural integrity unless its nearly all bubbles lol. Sketched me out too but acrylic is very flexible in terms of not having perfect seams and bowing out is perfectly normal which I could never allow in my house!

So you wouldn't be too concerned about this?

How about buffing out the crazing? I have novus and a car buffer, would it be worth my time to do this? Will it just come back? Will doing this remove too much material and weaken the tank?

Thanks guys

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
View attachment 1004177
Seam seperation above, crazing below
View attachment 1004178

seam seperation is what is bad...crazing is just the material showing stress over time
Question. What kind of shims would you use under a steel stand with a 2" perimeter? I feel like wood will compress and disintegrate, especially if it gets wet. I imagine plastic will crack. Can I use metal shims? What do you recommend?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
So you wouldn't be too concerned about this?

How about buffing out the crazing? I have novus and a car buffer, would it be worth my time to do this? Will it just come back? Will doing this remove too much material and weaken the tank?

Thanks guys
No i wouldnt be concerned much about it. Can u improve ur unlevel tank/stand, yes, no biggie. Metal shims will work great. I use the composite ones. U can buff all that crazing as much as you want and nothing will happen lol. It occurs just under the surface of material. Only way to get rid of crazing is aneling in a giant oven. Best to just live with it. Can bearly tell imo.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
No i wouldnt be concerned much about it. Can u improve ur unlevel tank/stand, yes, no biggie. Metal shims will work great. I use the composite ones. U can buff all that crazing as much as you want and nothing will happen lol. It occurs just under the surface of material. Only way to get rid of crazing is aneling in a giant oven. Best to just live with it. Can bearly tell imo.
Thank you guys, thank you very much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store