longear sunfish has white, cotton-like substance.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
my longear sunfish has white, cotton-like substance on his gill and fin. I do not know what this is. I used the prazipro yesterday for the bass that had an eye fluke. what could this new thing be on the longear sunfish? I will try to do a water change and raise the PH. If you have an answer to this, please respond right away.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Usually white cotton like growths are fungus.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
would the fungus medicine affect any of my plants or fish since I have a bullhead catfish and hornwort? (from what I know, they are sensitive to meds) Anything recommended for meds?

would the prazipro interfere with the fungal med and or PH increase? This is so frustrating since this literally happened within 2 days....

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not sure about the plants or the catfish but I have heard that they both can be sensitive to medications.Has there been any fighting among your fish as the longear could have sustained some small cuts or wounds that might have gotten infected...I would not ad any other med while the prazi treatment is in progress...not a good idea to mix medications but the prazi might help with the fungus.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
the longear does have small fights sometimes with some of the other fish, but the longear is the one chasing the others. When can I add the PH increase and would that help them heal since the PH right now is around 6, but lower than 6.5. I will try to update what is going on tomorrow.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
As long as there are no signs of stress I wouldn't worry about the PH too much right now.Give us more info on your tank and inhabitants ,where you got them from..Post it tomorrow if you are done for now.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
I think the only ones that could of fought back are my 3 bluegills, my brown bullhead, or my smallmouth bass. None of them are necessarily full on aggressive to the other fish. The longear is the dominate fish and might have cut himself on some driftwood I guess or from the bullhead. My tank is warmer than usual at around 80F, but is usually 78F or below. I have 2 filters for the tank. I have java ferns, jungle vallis, hornwort anacharis, java moss, amazon sword, and a giant hairgrass. The PH I try to keep around 7.0, but has been in the 6 range lately. I do have other fish but they are not really defensive to the longear. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
Sorry for double posting, but 4-5 of my fish now have this... should I run the one filter with carbon for2 24 hours, then dose the prazi again?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Use fungus gard at half the recommended dosage with a full dose of API Triple sulfa.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
Would I use half a dose of Pimafix or a full dose? I was told by a person at a lfs that this will harm my plants the least, but still might. Is this a good med for fungus?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store