Internal sump 20 Gallon Long

mrvivian

Feeder Fish
Jan 7, 2014
canada
So, I've been playing around with ideas for building my own filtration setup for a new aquarium as ive always disliked using HOB filters(although the dislike may be irrational). So, ive decided im going to build my own internal sump into a 20 gallon long. Im going to section off 4-4.5 inches on one side of the aquarium and split it into three sections. One section will be an inch and a half wide and house sponge, and there will be holes drilled into the section at the top to allow water to flow into it. The top half will be kinda coarse while the bottom half is a little finer. The next section which will be 6 inches will be filled with filter media and the last 4 inch section will have a heater and submersible pump which will be connected to an output at the top of the section. Also, i realize the amount of media will be excessive but I have a huge amount that was given to me by a friend so it will be free to fill and extra filtering cant hurt :) Any thoughts? Also, after some calculations, the volume of water the fish will be in will be approximately 17 gallons.

Also, as a side note. I know this is not a particularly pertinent question for this section but does anyone have any idea on some more unusual fish that would be happy in this setup?

p.s.
There will be pictures coming in the next week or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store