Unfortunately i think i am loosing my big fire eel

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Well it looks like i am probably going to loose my big fire eel. I am not sure what has happened. I have had him for 10 years, and he is about 36". A few days ago i noticed that he was shaking his head and i thought he may have been choking. he kept curling his body up like a snake. he would even go upside down and stay there for a period of time. Which anybody who has owned a big fire eel knows, sometimes they sleep in weird positions even hanging upside down, but usually only at night.... atleast mine has always done that.

I noticed he may be swollen around his head area, and he seems to keep his head turned one direction more than the other, almost like it is stuck. But he is so fat and large, he kinda has a weird shape anyway from such a fat/big body and little face, in comparison. maybe i am reaching.
I started wondering if he maybe swallowed a stinger, or a bone or something. i fed the tank tilapia like normal and even though he was upside down he ate.i was amazed! I have always said a fish that eats is fine. He is not fine, i have had him long enough to know he is fighting for his life.

Anyway, my thought is maybe he has broken his neck/spine, or maybe even suffered a brain injury possibly from a ray?? Keep in mind a 3' eel that eats whole filets of tilipia is as big as a man's forearm and extremely tough. It is hard to think of a ray damaging that. But i wonder if he was trying to get down a piece of tilipa and a ray bit his head/face. i have studied his body and do not see any stinger wounds, and not really any bite marks. the rays are always biting him, but it does not phase him. any ideas?? i honestly dont think there is anything i can do at this point.

for those who havent seen him here is a couple videos before this problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWhVZ96_pWo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20SiF46Tq2Q&feature=youtu.be

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
DAM, sorry to hear that! Hope he pulls through!!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sorry to hear. You have a great variety in fish. Each time I have watched your video I feel like getting similar. The eel is great and so are the rest of your collection.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

joelypops

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2012
Rochester, Kent, UK
My TT eel did something similar a while ago when I had some mystery parasite in the tank that was killing off all the catfish. Several very large wager changes and dosed with anti parasite meds seemed to sort everything out.

Sent from my HTC One X

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store